Chapter 6

---Scottie's POV---

A door slammed shut in the distance, the sound reaching my ear as it twitched at the harsh sound before I sighed. Unwilling to open my eyes, I sleepily nuzzled the warmth around me and started to purr softly when a hesitant finger slowly rubbed over my head. I leaned against the touch, reveling in the way tiny fingers brushed through my fur and settled to scratch behind my ear, making me purr even louder.

Hmmmm...that feels nice.

Opening my eyes, I came face to face with a pair of hazel eyes, which were staring at me with unadulterated happiness that made the boy nearly bounce on the spot. He was grinning wildly as he petted me, standing beside the bed with ruffled hairs, a shirt dangling from one shoulder and a pair of sweats that revealed his bare feet.

Since I couldn't move away and the kid wasn't giving the idea that he was going to pick me up, I simply turned my head to the right and laid it down on the warm surface beneath it. Come to think of it, nearly my whole body was flooded with warmth.

When I felt movement underneath me, some of the sleepy haze disappeared and allowed me to remember that I had woken up before, splayed on a certain man's chest. No doubt he was still lying in bed with me.

Oh well, I'm not going to try and move away...comfy...

"Mhrrrr..."

"Hehehe, do you like that?" The kid chirped as he rubbed over my scruff down to my shoulders before he scratched at my ear. If only I could answer him and tell him how good it felt. He smiled and sat down beside the bed, glancing at something next to me before he giggled softly.

"Ezra is still sleeping, so we need to keep quiet." He whispered and sat back for a moment, shivering and pulling his shirt right. "Ezra said I could name you today but I don't wanna wake him up yet, he can be so grumpy in the morning."

Really? I hadn't noticed that before...maybe the kid meant it in how Ezra woke up. I can imagine that he doesn't like waking up to a kid jumping on his stomach. I lifted my head and looked behind me to locate the man, twitching my nose in surprise when it bumped against his own nose.

He was still sleeping, breathing deeply through his half-opened lips but that didn't surprise me. It was the way I was laying across his throat with my head previously tucked on one of his pecs. Thank god cats don't blush because I would be a shining beacon of awkwardness right now.

I stretched my front paws, flexing the nails into the bed before I tried to move my hind legs. A sharp pain shot through my back, freezing me on the spot as I squinted my eyes shut in pain. It soon dulled to a less painful throb, reminding me not to try and move again.

"James? Spots? Stripes? How about Tigger?"

A slight shift of Ezra underneath me made me twitch before I heard his voice rumble through the room. "Jeremy, what are you doing?" The child smiled sheepishly and sat back on his heels, twiddling with his thumbs.

"Trying to figure out a name for the cat? I was just throwing out some names and see if it would react on any of them. Maybe it already has a name and it'll grow confused if we give it another name, well, I would grow confused being called Jeremy all my life and suddenly getting a new name. What if I don't like my new name? What if-"

"Jeremy!"

"What?" the boy blinked and tilted his head before his lips pulled together in a small o. A sheepish smile slid on his lips as he muttered an apology, eyes flitting back to me. I huffed slightly and closed my eyes in the hopes of snoozing back to sleep before a hand crept underneath my chest and gingerly lifted me up.