8

"I don't care what you say, you're both going

"I don't care what you say, you're both going." Emmie gives me and Saige her best I-mean-business glare, making us both groan.

I guess you could say that Saige and I have made up. By that I mean neither of us have brought up our argument from last week. We both choose to ignore our fight as if it never happened, which might be for the best.

"What, exactly, are we going to?" I ask. Emmie smirks like she was hoping I'd ask her that question, which only makes me dread what she's going to say next even more.

"There's going to be a party this Friday at some guy on the football team's house, and everyone is going. Including you two. No excuses."

"I can't," Saige and I say in unison. We even share a glance, which might be the most we've acknowledged each other in a week.

"I said no excuses!" Emmie cries. "You guys are coming, and it's going to be fun! Please? You never come to parties with me!"

"That's because I'm not a fan of the underage drinking and drug use," Saige states simply, being the childless mother that she is. "It's disgusting, to be honest."

Emmie rolls her eyes, giving me a do-you-know-this-chick look that makes me laugh. "So? You don't have to drink or do drugs or do anything that you don't want to do."

"Good." Saige smirks, her eyes gleaming brightly. "Then I don't have to go to the party."

"I retract my former statement. You don't have to do anything you don't want to do at the party."

Saige rolls her eyes, turning her attention to her yogurt cup. I find myself realizing that I'm not entirely against the idea of going to this party. Lately, I've slowly started to branch out of my shell. Then I remember that I have overly protective parents, and remind myself that there's no way in hell I'd ever be able to sneak out to go to a party, of all places.

"I wish I could," I tell Emmie, genuinely meaning it. "But, you know who my parents are, right?"

"Yeah, the biggest sticks in the mud of all eternity." Emmie looks downcast as she stares down at her lunch, her mouth pursed. I wonder if I should be offended by what she just said about my parents, and if it's a bad thing that I'm not.

"I'm not giving up." Emmie looks determined as she meets Saige's gaze and then mine. "Somehow, I am going to convince both of you to come to this party. Just you wait."

"Okay," Saige says sarcastically, rolling her eyes. "I doubt that, but you do you, sweetie." Has Saige always been so negative? And, if so, how have I never noticed before?

"Sorry," I tell Emmie softly. "You know I want to. It's just, it's kind of impossible with the biggest sticks in the mud of all eternity for parents."

Emmie stands, looking down at me and Saige. "You're still coming. You'll see."