19

The Winter Formal—though it's not technically taken place during winter—is one of the fanciest programs Day View High holds, next to prom

The Winter Formal—though it's not technically taken place during winter—is one of the fanciest programs Day View High holds, next to prom. Given that it's a dance, I've never been before. It's not like this fact bothers me, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't kind of want to go. But Thorne's not much of a school-dance kind of guy, so I don't mention it to him. Still, as the flyers go up and the school starts getting ready for the dance, I find that I don't just kind of want to go, I really want to go. With Thorne, specifically, just so I can have the experience.

I guess that's why I'm kind of surprised when Thorne leans in close to my ear during fourth, asking, "Have you heard about that school dance? The Winter Formal, or whatever?"

I don't say what I'm thinking, which is that it'd be practically impossible not to have heard about it. Instead I just press my lips together and nod, saying, "Uh, yeah. Why?"

Thorne studies me in silence for a moment. He taps his fingers against his desk, clearing his throat. "You wouldn't be interested in going or anything, would you, Sunshine?"

I'm honest to God shocked that the question even made its way out of his mouth. Raising an eyebrow, I ask, "Is that your way of asking me to the dance?"

Thorne's gaze doesn't waver from mine as he shrugs. "Maybe."

"I thought you didn't go to school dances?" I question, curious as to why he suddenly seems open to the idea.

"I didn't," he admits, his cheeks turning a little pink. "But then I met you." He pulls away from me slightly as he adds, "Plus, I kinda overheard you talking to Kirsten Mendes about wanting to go, so . . ." he trails off, giving me a please-don't-be-mad-at-me look.

Kirsten Mendes is the girl whose locker is next to mine, and I do recall having talked to her about the dance briefly. I guess I might have mentioned wanting to go, but I didn't expect Thorne to actually ask me or anything.

"We don't have to—"

"I know," Thorne cuts me off. "But I want to go with you. It could be kinda fun, I guess."

I raise my eyebrows, wondering who this boy is and what he did with my boyfriend. "Really?" I ask. "You're being serious?"

"I'm being seriously serious," Thorne assures me, grinning.

"You know you have to dress up, right?" I tell him. "It's a formal function, which means guys wear tuxes and—"

"Answer me before I change my mind," Thorne says, stopping me short. He shudders at the word tux, but I can tell he's making an effort. I smile as I tell him, "Yes. I'd love to go to the dance with you."

Thorne slinks back in his chair, muttering, "This better be worth it if I have to wear a tux."

I don't tell him that I couldn't care less if the dance turned out to be a total bust. All I care is that he asked me to go with him in the first place. In a way, that's really all that matters.