Chapter 5

The weekend was here. Y/N was off work for the weekend, although Alex wasn't. Alex trusted Y/N to stay home alone and protect herself. She told Alex she was going to pop down to the dive bar for a drink or two and Alex approved.

•••

Y/N entered the bar, greeted by voices and the smell of alcohol. She went to the bar and ordered a scotch. The bartender gave her the drink and she turned around, leaning on the bar; she spotted Maggie and contemplates going up to say hi. She decided to go say hi, as she made her way to the booth behind the pool table.

"Hey." Y/N shyly waves.

"Y/N! Hi!" Maggie greets. "Up for another round of pool? I'll take this chance to redeem myself!" She says confidently.

They set up the table and Maggie hits first. The balls scatter and she gets a solid ball in one of the pockets.

"Solids!" Maggie exclaims as she walks to the cue ball, picking out her next target.

She bends down and moves the cue back and forth before striking. The ball hits a few more balls, scattering them even further. Y/N went to hit next and bend down on the table. The pain from her wound was slowly fading so it didn't bother her as much this time. She slid the cue over her thumb before hitting the ball. She missed the pocket.

They kept going at this for about 5 minutes. Maggie was winning and only had one balll left, but Y/N was just being nice. For now.

Y/N took the chalk and rubbed it on the top of the cue before bending back over to hit the cue ball. She hit a stripe into the pocket. She chose another target and struck. She got that ball in, she went again and hit another in. She hit in the last three, and went for the eight ball. The eight ball missed, but Maggie was still in shock.

"Umm, it's your turn?" Y/N said shyly.

"Right. How'd you...?" Maggie waved off her own question and hit the last of her balls in. she points to one of the pockets, calling it out. She then goes for the eight ball, and hit it. The ball finally rolled into a pocket.

"Haha! I won!" Maggie rubbed it in Y/N's face.

"Actually, went in the wrong pocket." Y/N smugly states.

"Dammit!" Maggie laughs.

They settled down and Y/N soon noticed that Maggie was a little on edge, as if she was trying to push something away.

"Hey, you alright?" Y/N hesitantly asks.

"Hm? Oh, yea. I'm fine." Maggie replies, a little to quickly.

"Are you sure?" Y/N cautiously presses further.

Maggie sighs, "It's just, seeing Alex brought back... memories. We used to be together, and just before we had it all, we had different views on what we wanted in life. So we split..."

"Oh.. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked..." Y/N said.

"No, it's fine. I just needed to get that off my chest. Anyways, what about your love life? Got anyone?" Maggie replied, an eyebrow raised and a sly smirk on her face.

"Um, I don't actually. I've never had anyone to love me, or love." Y/N said, seeming a little sad to Maggie.

"Oh. Sorry for asking about you."

"N-no! It's fine!" Y/N assures, slightly panicking that she might have hurt Maggie somehow.

"Are you sure?" Maggie asks, tilting her head and raising an eyebrow at Y/N. She just nods. "Alright..."

Y/N finally speaks up a little bit. "I've never tried to chase after anyone, although I have had a few crushes here and there. I guess I was just never ready." she kinda whispers, just loud enough for Maggie to hear.

"Ah. Yea," Maggie chuckled. "I know what that's like, not knowing if they like you back. Especially when they're the same gender and go against 'society's rules'" she raised her hands and made quotation marks with her fingers.

"Heh, yea..." Y/N trails off, looking down a bit.

"Hey, kid, you ok there? You kinda look... dead." Maggie asks.

Y/N just looks up and nods a little bit.

"Hey, what would you like, I'll go grab it." Maggie asks.

"Oh, no you don't have to do that." Y/N nervously tries to dismiss the offer.

"Nah, it's cool. Seriously, what do you want?" Maggie asks.

"Fine... any red wine is good." Y/N finally says.

Maggie gets up and orders a couple of classes of red wine. Reader accepts it and starts to pull out her wallet.

"Oh no, this is on me. It's alright. Put that wallet back in your pocket." Maggie insists.

Y/N puts it back and pours a little water into her wine. Maggie looks at her a little quizzically.

"I don't like wine that has strong alcohol." She mumbles as she starts to swish the mixture around in her glass gently.

They set up the pool table again, and Y/N takes the first shot. So far, she is winning.

"Just you wait, I'll catch up to you and take you down!" Maggie exclaims.

The two are down to the eight ball now. The ball is in a position that is quite difficult to get into one of the pocket. It seems easy but don't be fooled.

Y/N points to the middle socket on the opposite side of the table as the ball. Maggie snickers to herself. Y/N lines up the cue ball, and strikes it. The ball collides with the eight ball and they both roll to the middle pocket slowing down. They're still moving but almost stopped. They're right on the edge of the pocket. The cue ball rolls a little more, tapping the eight ball. It rolls the very small distance and finally drops in.

Maggie stood there in complete awe. Her jaw is basically dragging on the floor.

"H-how did you do that!?" She asks Y/N, mouth agape. "That was amazing!"

Y/N just shrugs as she takes a sip of her wine.
The two hung out for a little longer until Y/N had to make her way back to Alex's place. She still wasn't very open to people and leaving the bar let her calm down a bit.

She made it to Alex's without any trouble and Alex was waiting for her. She stepped in and they sat down to watch a little bit of tv on Netflix. Kara came over as well, with her potstickers of course.

They asked Y/N what she thought of Lena. Y/N didn't say much, but the sisters got her to open up a little bit.

"Fine, she's really nice," Y/N started.

The sisters kept looking at her for more.

"And she's really gentle..." she trails off a bit.

The Danvers duo keep looking at her, willing her to add.

"And she's comfortable..." she instantly regretted saying the last part as the sisters awed at her. She snuggled into the corner of the couch into a little ball out of nervousness and shyness.