Chapter 4--Symbols of my Past

The next day my mother and I went shopping for dinner and I smiled, getting some cakes and nice coffee jellies for dessert. We then headed home and tidied the house for the guests. It was about an hour before the doorbell rang, signaling the arrival of our first guest. I smiled widely and opened the door to be met with the indifferent and bored face of Saiki. "Hi, Saiki. Come on in." I welcomed the pink haired boy and led him into the living room.

My mother was so happy that I actually made friends that she fired question after question to Saiki who only gave a nod or hum as acknowledgment. Not that he would've been able to fit a full answer in the form of words between her questioning anyway. A few minutes after Saiki arrived, Teruhashi made an appearance just before Nendo and Kaido showed up together.

"I-it's really nice to meet you, miss (l/n)!" Kaido bowed, as Nendo gave a wave and Teruhashi gave a charming greeting.

"Oh please, just call me (m/n). You boys and young lady make yourselves at home," my mother said, going into the kitchen to check on dinner.

I led the group to the living room and sat in the loveseat that was big enough for two people and patted the spot next to me for Kaido. He happily sat next to me and I looked at the group.

"So, this is my humble abode. It's just my mom and I but it's still cozy," I said making a sweeping hand gesture.

Kaido smiled and said, "I like it. It suits you." The rest of the group let out some words of agreement and I smiled, "Would you guys like a tour?"

Before I had a chance to finish the sentence, Nendo was already up and wandering around, looking at cabinets and the knickknacks my mother loves that decoratively adorn the shelves of our home.

"Uh, ok. Let's take a look around," I said as I got up and started pointing to different rooms and areas of the house as Kaido and Teruhashi followed. Saiki chose to stay in the living room, my mother having found out about his love for coffee jelly and thus was handing him a tray full of the desert. 'Going a little overboard there mom, I wanted some, too,' I thought to myself.

Suddenly I hear a "Woah, what's this?" coming from one of the open doors down the hall. 'Wait a minute, that's my room... shit,' sprinting down the hall and to the open door of my room, I see Nendo going through the back of my closet.

"I told him not to barge in here without your permission," Kaido said nervously as I continued toward Nendo, trying to stop him from revealing what I had a very strong feeling he found. Too late, the big guy turned around toward the group with a wooden box that had a delicate carving on the center of it. The carving being the insignia and the Five Points, to be exact.

Sweating bullets, I tried to pry the box from Nendos hands, "Oh that thing? It's just something I picked up at an antique store. Nothing special," but my voice was wavering throughout the lie. This was bad, not even my mother knew I kept that box, and if Nendo decided to open it, I would be done for.

Nendo narrowed his eyes at my obvious lie, "Oh yeah? Then why are you so nervous?" I tried to put on a blank face as I said, "Whaaaaat? I'm not nervous." He shrugged and, to my dismay, opened the box.

His eyes widened as he let out a, "Whoaaaaa. What is this?"

He turned the box around to face Kaido and I. Six beautifully handcrafted knives gleamed in the fading sunlight from my window as I stood like a deer in headlights.

Snapping out of it, I snatched the knife set and shoved it under my bed and said, "Nendo! Those weren't for you to see!" I quickly whipped to face Kaido with a horrified expression, forgetting he was there.

Kaido's face had gone a deathly white as his form trembled. "No," he whispered, "It can't be. Those knives, and that insignia, there's no other explanation."

"Kaido wait, I can explain!" I cried desperately.

"You're one of them! Part of Dark Reunion! Sent here to seduce me so you could steal the powers dwelling within me!"

"Huh?" I gave him the best 'are you kidding me' face I could muster before he ran out of the room yelling, "The Jet Black Wings shall not be fooled!"

I tried to run after him to explain things, but he only stopped to bow to my mother and politely excuse himself before he ran out the door.

"Wow sweetie, your friends are so full of energy," my mother said, a bit confused by the course of actions that had just taken place.

I pulled my mother aside so no one could hear us and said softly, "Um...so you know how dad gave me that knife set when I was 10?"

My mother gave me the look that somehow all parents are able to give which was a mix of anger and disappointment. "So he found it?" I nodded my head in shame and she sighed, "(y/n), I told you to get rid of that stuff. This is the kind of thing that will catch your father's attention."

I looked down and muttered, "I know. I just really liked the set and couldn't stand the idea of letting them go. They remind me of home." Just then I felt a tap on my shoulder and I turned to see Saiki.

"I know Kaido thought you were in Dark Reunion. I can help you with that," he offered. I looked at him in surprise. 'How was he supposed to help me? Could he erase Kaido's memory?' I laughed internally at myself. 'Naaaah. That would be crazy.'

I gave a small smile before turning fully to face the pink haired boy, "No, it's okay Saiki, Kaido and I should really work this misunderstanding out ourselves. Thanks for offering to help though." The pink haired boy just nodded and took his seat at the table as my mother announced that dinner was ready. Nendo and a confused Teruhashi also took their seats at the dinner table as I helped my mom bring out the food.

"So, what freaked Kaido out?" Teruhashi questioned as we all began to eat.

"Oh, n-nothing," I said nervously.

"(Y/n) had this really awesome set of- ouch!" Nendo started talking until I gave him a sharp kick under the table.

"Would anyone like some more (fav/food)?" I asked with a polite smile, changing the subject.