29.Birthday Presents

Alexeron ordered me to train again, physically and magically. So each day until Friday I split my schedule into two, the first half sparring with werewolves and vampires, the second half spent with Anna in the sanctuary.

"I just don't know what to do, should I ignore him? Or should I just avoid him?" I sighed, resisting the urge to roll my eyes at my rambling best friend.

I had been practicing spells with Anna when Maddy had burst in, complaining about Mathias. I'd told her what had happened when I saw him, which had caused her to be even more confusing. I was exhausted from my training session, where I'd been slashed across the stomach by a werewolf.

"Why don't you go talk to him? Finally put your foot down and demand he grow up?" Anna chimed, seeing my annoyed expression. She yawned, making me feel bad. It was almost three in the morning.

"Yeah, you should. He'll be getting ready for bed, so you should go now before you back out." I turned to look at the now nervous Maddy. She fiddled with her uniform, rubbing her hands down the front of her dress.

"Should I?" I stood and stopped in front of her, rubbing her shoulders affectionately.

"Yes Madeline, other wise you'll regret." She nodded and turned, heading for the door.

"Okay, I'm going to go talk to him. Oh, and considering it's three in the morning, happy birthday." She laughed as I winced, before leaving, her stride purposeful.

I turned back to Anna, grinning slightly as I began to shuffle the grimoires back as I stacked them.

"Come on, let's go to bed."

¤¤¤

"Regina, wake up! It's your birthday!." I groaned and pushed away the hands shaking me, sinking deeper into the pillow.

"Ugh go away." I rolled away from Anna but opened my eyes as I heard and smelt Finian enter the room. I twisted, my toes curling as he stared down at me. I grinned and sat up excitedly, the childlike joy of my birthday still lingering.

Anna took the chance to jump on me, her arms around my neck as she smothered me. For a witch she was a lot stronger than she looked. I glared up at my mate as he chuckled.

"Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to-" My eyes narrowed at the sound of approaching feet, the foot falls rushed. Finian turned and Anna and I looked up as Maddy hurtled into my room, looking frazzled.

"I'm here, I'm here, I'm sorry I'm late." I frowned, taking in her appearance. Her hair was a frizzy mess, hazardously pulled back in a ponytail. Her uniform dress was creased, the collar twisted, her apron gone. She turned and closed the door, giving a glimpse of missing buttons up the back of her dress. Her cheeks grew red as we stared silently at her.

I cocked my head, sniffing slightly. I raised my eyebrow as she avoided my gaze. "Why do you smell like men's cologne?" Her eyes went wide as my mouth opened, the realization kicking in. I jumped up, my arms flung out in surprise. She'd spent the night with Mathias. And judging from her twisted mouth they'd done more than talked.

"Happy Birthday Regina!" I smirked as she diverted the attention, the look she gave indicating that we'd talk later.

I hugged her, then turned and did the same to Anna. I pivoted to Finian, my heart freezing as he held his hand out, brandishing a green ring box. I stared at it, not blinking at the insinuation.

"Oh no, it's not-it's a promise ring!" He stuttered awkwardly, pulling the lid open. I chuckled, my breath swooshing out of me as I placed my hand over my heart.

"It's beautiful." I announced, stepping toward him. I plucked the box out of his hand and pulled out the ring. It was slightly darker than a normal silver color, sturdy, almost manly. It was shaped so the the band jutted out, creating a hilt that lead to a point, a sword. Halfway down the blade sat a crescent moon, curled the opposite way as the hilt.

"It's made of iron, and that's the Iron Moon crest." My mouth dropped open, my stomach filling with butterflies. My chest filled with emotion as I looked up at Finian, his dark blue eyes uncertain. I struggled to breathe passed the emotional block in my throat.

"Thank you." I slipped the ring onto my right hand ring finger, staring at it affectionately before standing on my tip toes. I wrapped my arms around his neck, my nose against his shoulder. He held me tightly, his heart thumping against my chest.

"Okay, my turn." I chuckled, turning to watch Maddy pull a dress bag from the armoire. I scoffed, she obviously knew I wouldn't be going through the dresses in there.

"This is for tonight." She placed the bag on the bed and grinned, motioning for me to open it. I stepped passed Finian and began pulling down the zipper, flashes of emerald green fabric showing as I did so. The party wasn't going to be as formal as the ball, but since the remaining guests had been given the all clear to leave they were in high spirits, so no doubt they'd still dress in their finery.

I inhaled sharply as I pulled the dress from the bag, my eyes widening in amazement.

The dress was emerald, with a lace overlay stitched with glimmering crystals placed far apart in a diamond shape. It had a plunging, halter neckline, the straps wide over my chest and tied behind my neck. The dress flared at the waist, layers of tulle that reached just above my knees. It was perfect, not too fancy but still elegant.

I hugged it to my chest, grinning gleefully.

"I love it! Thank you." I gave her a side hug, not wanting to let the dress go. I sighed contently and finally put the dress back in its bag, half sitting on the bed.

Anna clapped her hand, gaining our attention. Maddy rounded the bed and sat on Finian's side, who lent against the poster at the end of my side.

With a flourish of the witch's hand a cloth covered present appeared, a small black jewelry bag on top. She raised her eyebrow expectantly, holding them out where she stood at the end of the bed.

I concentrated, my hand out as the present began to float. It rocked slightly, my inexperienced hand not used to the strain. It slowly drifted through the air and into my lap. Maddy and Anna clapped lightly, Finian grinning proudly.

I pried open the small bag, my fingers coiling in a bound leather necklace. Hanging from it was a small wooden rune, twisted into what looked like a T joined with a W.

"That's from mom, it's a protection rune. And the other one is from me." I cooed at the necklace, gently placing it back into the bag. I unwrapped the other, the purple velvet cloth revealing the familiar book of a grimoire.

It was a dark green dyed leather, gold leaf detailing pressed into the cover. I ran my hand over the divots, over the detailing. In the bottom right corner were my initials, pressed and also painted gold. As I admired the book, I was reminded of the crown that we so desperately needed. I opened the cover to blank pages. I stared up at Anna questioningly.

"It's your very own custom grimoire, you can put your own spells in it. Witch's usually get them on their sixteenth birthdays, but you started the craft a bit late." She grinned, her eyes flashing magenta. I placed my hand on my heart, staring between the 3 of them.

"Aw, I love you guys." Anna registered what I'd said first, her gaze going to the back of Finian's head, who looked quite shocked. I'd inadvertedly just told him I loved him. My eyes went wide, my teeth clenching as we all sat in awkward silence.

My phone ringing scared me half to death, almost succeeding in breaking the tension. I smiled as my mom screamed down the phone, wishing me a happy birthday. My eyes went to Finian as I spoke to her, his eyes on the floor.