Chapter 3

By the time I got home, I felt as if a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Since today was the last day of school, my summer is now pants optional. Since Jasper will be gone with his lacrosse buddies at the lake, I won't have to worry about him barging in on me.

Yep. This was going to be great

I set my back pack on the floor in the corner of my room, and that's where it will stay until August. I kick off my boots and crawled into my bed before turning on the television.

The Netflix screen popped up right where I left it last night. I begin scrolling through movie after movie until I decided on one.

As I watched Coraline, the storm outside started to get more intense. Rain lashed against the window, causing the sound to echo throughout the room. Dark clouds started to roll in, which caused the room to get even darker as no light came in.

I felt my eyes starting to close slowly. It wasn't surprising that I was tired. I was woken up one minute early so I didn't get my full ten hours.

As the credit started to roll, I shut off the television. Once the room was incomplete darkness, I closed my eyes and sleep came fast.

_____________________________

The sound of my bedroom door creaking open wasn't enough to wake me. Even the sound of footsteps didn't do the trick either. As I laid there, I completely ignored all the sounds happening.

"Hattie," said a voice. I groaned as I pulled my blankets closer to me. I wasn't planning on getting up for anything.

All of a sudden, the blankets that were once keeping me warm were ripped violently off my body. The cold air assaulted my arms, which caused me to shoot up straight in my bed.

"The hell," the yelled as I scrambled around looking for the blanket, but I no longer felt it on by bed.

Besides me, someone was laughing, hard. I reached over and hir the switch on my lamp. Light immediately filled the room and I could see my blanket steal.

"I told you to stay out," I say as I get out of bed and start to smack his arm.

"Hey," Jasper grunts as he grabs both my hands in mid air. "Your mom asked me to wake you up."

I mentally swore at myself. I had forgotten that we were having dinner with the Kings again. I didn't mind having dinner with Emily and Gerald, but I would prefer that the spawn of Satan didn't show. Which was unlikely.

"Fine," I huffed as a pulled my arms out of Jasper's grasp. "But the next time you enter my room, you're gonna regret it.'

"So scary," Jasper mocked as he began to walk out the door.

"I mean it," I say as I cross my arms. "I'll destroy you."

"That days never gonna happen princess," Jasper smirks as he slammed the door behind him, causing the wall to shake.

I groan as I flopped on back on my bed. First getting water dumped on my face and now having dinner with my arch nemesis. Could this day get any worse?

On my nightstand, my phone began ringing. I reach over and frowned at my phone. My dad was calling.

Yep. This day did in fact, did get worse.

I haven't spoken with him in weeks. He's called a couple times but I didn't answer. I had nothing to say, but I can't keep dodging his call. If he can't reach me, he'll go to mom, and I don't want him to talk to her.

"Hello?" I ask with the least amount of excitement I could muster.

"Hattie, sweetie," my dad gushed into the phone, which really made me want to puke. "How are you? How was the last day."