Chapter 11

I stood in front of my dresser rummaging through the drawers looking for something decent to wear. With me being on crutches and having a cast on my leg, much of my clothes were no good. I couldn't wear jeans because they wouldn't go over my cast, and dresses were out because if I fell I would flash everyone.

The weather was warm today, so shorts were the only thing that I could wear. I pull out a pair of black Capri legging and a thin purple flannel. After those were laid out, I went to the bathroom to get a shower.

Jasper stayed out in the backyard most of the day. I don't know why, and frankly, I didn't give a damn. It's not like I needed him anymore. I was practically a pro on crutches. If I were given the right motivation I could probably run, not gracefully, but I could still do it.

Bathing, however, was still kinda tricky. My shower lacked handrails, so standing up was basically impossible. With all these new inconveniences, my shower time was basically doubled.

After I shut the water off, I carefully make my way out of the shower and grabbed my robe and wrapped it around me. Normally I would just wrap a towel around me, but with Jasper somewhere in the house I'd rather not do that.

I closed bedroom door slightly behind me before I started to get dressed. It was only three, so I still had an hour before Evan showed up. That was plenty of time to get ready. At least, I hope it was.

As soon as I finished tugging my leggings over my cast, my phone rang. Before I got my shower, I just left it on my bed. Perhaps Evan was calling to cancel or something. There wasn't a reason for anyone to be calling me. It couldn't be my dad calling. I made it pretty clear that I didn't want anything to do with the vacation from hell.

I pick up the phone and stare at it blankly. My mother was calling. It's been three days and she was just now getting back to me? Honestly I thought it would take a lot longer.

"Hey Mom," I say as I answer the phone.

"Hi Hattie, just calling to check in," she said heavily. From the sound of her voice I could tell she was walking. In the background, I could barely make out the sounds of other people talking as well as car beeping at one another.

"Everything's fine, I guess," I say and I sat on my bed while propping my leg up. "Did you get my messages from a few days ago?"

"I did but I haven't looked at them yet," she says as she brushes it off. "So, I have good news."

"Yeah? Well I don't," I say as I give my leg a little pat.

"Things are going so great up here with the contract signings, they've asked me to be head of sales on their next project," she says as she completely ignored what I said. "Can you believe it?"

"Uh, sure," I say as I bit my bottom lip. "Mom, I have to tell you something."

"And that's not all," she continues to talk, which caused my heart to drop. This wasn't a check in, this is to brag. She doesn't care about what I have to say, which doesn't surprise me anymore. "I've meet someone."

"You've only been there two days," I sigh as I pinch the bridge of my nose. "Mom, something happened to me. You need to listen."

"We connected," she said, and it took all my strength to not end the call right there. "His name's Ray, recently divorced, and he's an artist. He can paint like Picasso." I roll my eyes. No one can paint like Picasso. "He's a bit younger, but he told me he wants a family. I could get a second chance."

"So what does that make me? A failed experiment?" I asked bitterly.

"You'd love him," she said in a daze.