Chapter 21

"Are you seriously going to stand in the hallway?" Evan called out to me as he looked over his shoulder.

It was around four o'clock now, and Evan was in the kitchen chopping up an onion. Earlier, after I had put a load of clothes in the washer, the two of us just hung around the house. Now since it was getting late and the both of up were getting hungry, Evan took it upon himself to start cooking dinner.

I peered out from the corner and scowled at him. "I can't stand the smell of onions, so yes I will stay here until they are finished."

Evan let out a loud laugh as he went back to chopping the onions that didn't seem to phase him. "How do you expect to get through life without ever chopping an onion?"

"I'll manage," I tell him as I lean my head against the wall. "I guess if I ever need a onion cut I'll just have to call you."

"Is that all I'm good for?" he asked as he set the knife down and turned to face me. I nodded and he started to chuckle. "I feel unappreciated, you know." 

"Join the club," I say as I watched him cover the onions to a paper towel so the smell wouldn't spread through the room. Evan gave me a weird look before he went over to the sink to wash his hands. "So, are you still not going to tell me what you're making?" I glance over at the chicken he had placed on a plate as well as a small bowl of assorted spices that I had no clue of what it could be. 

"I told you. Chicken," he told me as he began to start opening all the cabinets as if he were looking for something. "Do you have a cast iron skillet?"

"Above the stove," I say as I motioned to the small cabinet above the stove. "Can you give me a hint?"

"Nope," he said as he lifted his arms to open the cabinet. As he did that, the front of his shirt raised and I was able to see toned muscles on his lower abdomen. I couldn't help but blush as I quickly looked away. I did't want to be caught staring at him like that.

"Jerk," I say as I started to walk over to the small counter. I pulled out the stool and then hopped up on it.

Evan leaned his head back and let out a loud laugh. "I'm making you dinner. How can I be a jerk?"

"I don't know," I say as I lean forward on the counter and held my head up with my hands. "Are you making a family recipe?" 

"No," he told me as he turned on the stove and placed the skillet on top on the open flame. "I was bored a while ago, and I just started cooking one day. I ended up making this thing, and it turned out pretty good. You're actually the first person I've made this for."

"Well now I feel honored," I say with a smile.

"You should," he told me as he placed the raw chicken in the skillet. The moment the meat hit the hot pan, sizzling filled the room. "After we eat, want to go for a drive?"

I shrugged. "I guess. Where to?"

"No where in particular," he told me. "There's just this place I want to show you, but its a  surprise"

I narrow my eyes at him. "So full of secrets, aren't you?"

"Not really," he said as he flipped the chicken onto its other side. "There's nothing to hide, really. I mean, I'm a terrible liar."

"Oh, really?" I questioned as I perked up. "How so?"

Evan sighed. "I get this horrible stutter. It's pretty bad."

I chuckle. "It could be worse. When I was little I just froze."

"What about now?" he asked as he looked over his shoulder at me.