eight

❄ ❄ ❄ ❄

winter // eight

L

"So was it, like, a kiss kiss?" Kate raises her eyebrows. "Or a kiss kiss?"

"What."

"Were you ever a teenager? There's kissing and then there's kissing with emphasis."

"What if there was tongue?" Lena challenges.

"Oh my god. Even though I'm totally for women embracing their sexuality and doing whatever they want, this is you that we're talking about and oh my god. Tongue on the first kiss. Was he your first kiss?"

Rolling her eyes, Lena pointedly looks down at the open textbook in her lap. Studying while Kate is in the room is a lot like William Henry Harrison's time as the President: short, pointless, and usually ends in some sort of disaster.

"Lena," Kate hisses. Then a pillow hits the side of Lena's face. "Yo, stop ignoring me or I'll throw something at you again."

"Okay, Vlad the Impaler. What do you want?"

"Was there tongue or not?"

"Seriously?" Lena snaps,

Kate tosses another pillow in response because of course she does. 

Lena gives up on studying and tosses the biology book to the side. "Okay, fine, there was like a little bit of tongue at the end. But then I had to go to work so there wasn't a lot? Whatever. It was a good kiss, though. Like, really good. Really good."

"Get it Lena! Are you spending the night there again? Don't think I didn't notice you didn't sleep here." She sticks out her tongue childishly. "I had no one to make me cheesy toast at three in the morning. I definitely noticed."

Lena shakes her head. "You only love me for my cheese toast abilities. And yeah, I'll probably sleep there."

"So are you two dating, or...?" Kate trails off, gesturing with one hand. "Because this whole thing sounds a lot like dating."

"No, we aren't. We're just friends who like to kiss a little, in his words. I don't really have time for a boyfriend and he can't even commit to a major. So." She shrugs her shoulders. "It's a good arrangement."

"Well if you keep spending literally all of your time there, you might as well call it a relationship."

Lena gives her a sharp little smile. "The only reason you haven't been murdered is because you have great fashion sense and you invite me to all the fun parties. You're Alexander The Great, I've decided. Kate the Great. Oh my god, it rhymes."

"Is this Harry's doing? Because while most of that night playing True American is a blur, I totally remember him saying something about rhyming."

Giggling, Lena tosses one of her throw pillows across the room at her before standing up. It's absolutely because of Harry and she's never going to admit it. "I'm going to Harry's. Don't murder anyone or invade any countries while I'm gone."

"No promises, Lena. No promises from Kate the Great."

❄ ❄ ❄ ❄

Today, the message board stuck to the door of the boys' flat reads how do u like ur chicken? ;) xox. That's a lot more normal than most days, though, so Lena doesn't even question it before grabbing the marker and writing grilled underneath it.

Lena also lets herself in without knocking, but she has a toothbrush here so she's pretty sure they're on that level.

Zayn and Liam are cuddling on the mattress that's still in front of the telly playing FIFA, Niall is strumming a guitar on the couch, and Harry is reading a car magazine upside down in the middle of the floor. Louis is nowhere to be found and she feels like they should probably be worried about that.