twelve

winter // twelve

❄❄❄❄

 L 

Everything changes with the seasons.

For the first time since probably eighth grade, Lena makes it through an entire week without so much as glancing at a textbook. She does allow herself to check online for any updates from her professors once, but Harry catches her and forces her into doing yoga again. So. That was that.

The rest of the week at Harry's home is spent cuddling, watching movies, playing endless amounts of charades, and going to what seems to be every pub in the city with Gemma, Harry, and Niall. They braid Harry's hair twice, watch all eight Harry Potter movies, and sleep in until noon almost every day.

By the time the break ends, Lena has learned an endless amount of Harry Potter pickup lines. Also, not that she would ever admit it, but the yoga Harry is forcing her into is making her muscles visibly more toned. The workout is even enough to counter the endless amounts of home cooked meals she eats every day.

The last day of the break is first day it snows, and unlike London snow, the white fluff in Holmes Chapel actually sticks to the ground. It's only a few inches, but its still enough for them to make snowmen with giant penises to leave as their legacy in Harry's childhood front yard. 

"No one tell my mum," Harrys murmurs as they stand back, admiring their work. 

Lena squeezes his hand. "And have her deface our beautiful creation? I would never."

The goodbyes are short, sweet, and simple, filled with lots of kisses on the cheek (Lena is getting used to this British thing) and off and on tears from Anne. "It was so nice to meet you all," Lena says at four o'clock on Sunday evening. She means it. "Thank you for having me."

"Stay smart," Gemma announces, and then pulls her into a hug. "Don't let the idiots ruin you."

"You've secured the number one spot. Text us whenever they get into trouble, okay? Or if you ever need anything," Robin tells her next, squeezing her hand softly. They're all so kind and lovely, and Harry is so kind and lovely, and she doesn't really want to leave. 

Anne is last, tugging her forward into a warm embrace that counters the cold outside. "I'm glad he has you," she whispers. Lena isn't sure what that means, but she hugs her back even tighter. "Stay safe, dear."

Then Lena steps back with Niall, watching in silence as Harry says goodbye to his family. The snow is coming down even harder when they leave, and all three hold hands to keep warm, catching snowflakes on their tongues as they run towards the cab waiting in the driveway.

❄❄❄❄

On the train back, they're sharing headphones, halfway through a playlist called songs lena pretends not to like but she dances to them anywaysand Harry's humming along to the chorus of I Wanna Get Better by the Bleachers, when he tugs the speaker out of their ears suddenly.

"Hey," he says. 

Lena rolls her eyes, reaches out to poke his dimple. "You want to draw penises on Niall's face, don't you?"

Niall passed out approximately thirty seconds after they sat down in their seats. "No." Harry frowns, shaking his head. "Well, yes, you bloody genius, but that isn't what I was thinking."

"Okay, well, do you want to tell me or do you want to draw penises?"

Harry furrows his eyebrows like he is making a very serious decision. "Okay, penises on Niall first. Then we'll talk."