chapter twenty-one

WHEN I WAKE up the next morning, it's to the natural light bleeding in through the windows on either side of the headboard. I turn onto my side and find Maggie sound asleep next to me, her hair sprawled out around her. My stomach turns knowing that we ate too much ice cream and not enough real food, but at least I got a smile out of her before we fell asleep.

She wasn't the Maggie I've loved for so long, but she was closer to the woman I know. I don't expect her to be over it in a day, but I know that she'll at least be okay and find her way back to herself eventually. It may take a while, but she'll get there.

I turn toward the nightstand and grab my phone, rolling onto my back. I open my messages and send Clark a quick text, letting him know that Maggie's going to need another day, but that I'll be in as soon as Zane gets back from his twenty-four hour shift. When he texts me back almost immediately, letting me know to take my time I'm met with instant relief. I rest my phone on my torso as I stare at the roof.

The relief that took over my chest washed away by the dread that takes its place knowing Zane's that much closer to knowing the truth. I have no doubt that it won't change a thing for him, but it doesn't change the heartbreak it will cause. They were expecting a baby in a few months, and now it may not be at all. Or in the way they had originally expected.

I sit up a few minutes later, quietly changing into my clothes from the day before when I hear the jingle of keys in the lock. Tying my hair up, I step into the living room and close their bedroom door behind me when Zane steps into the apartment sporting his EMT uniform.

"Emery?" he says my name as a question as he shuts the door.

"Hey," I say as I move to grab my boots. "How was work?"

"It was good," he says, his eyes darting to the door behind me. "What's wrong?"

I shake my head. "Maggie's fine, but I'll let her talk to you. She's just sleeping right now. I already told Clark that she won't be in today."

"Should I be worried?"

"Everything will be fine," I assure him. "I'll give you two some time, but just let me know if you need anything, okay?"

"Hey, wait," he says, catching my arm when I move towards the apartment door. "I wanted to apologize for sending in Maggie's manuscript. She's taking her anger out for something I did on you and she shouldn't be."

I shake my head. "It's okay. It was a really beautiful story."

"I know," he says with a soft smile. "I've been trying to convince her to shop it around, but she refused and I figured if I gave it to you unknowingly that she'd be so happy when you loved it just as much as I did that it wouldn't matter how you got it."

My lips curl up. "We're going to be fine."

"You sure?"

I nod. "I'll see you later, okay?" I ask, but don't wait for him to say anything before I step towards him and wrap my arms around his tall frame. "I love you."

"Love you, too, Em."

My lips curl up into something weakly resembling a smile as I open the door and step into the hall. A little part of my heart breaking knowing I could have told him, but it's not mine to tell and it's something the two need to handle together. Not something I need to insert myself into.

•    •    •

When I get home, I find my way in front of Luke's door instead of mine. A giddy kind of warmth bubbling up to the surface as I rap my knuckles against the wood, moving my hand to the strap of my bag as I take a step back from the door. I was surprised when he showed up at Maggie's last night, both by him finding her apartment and by him making the effort at all. He went out of the way to put a smile on my face and he succeed.

"4A," Luke says with the overly bright smile that makes my stomach twist in the best way possible. "Fancy seeing you here."

I don't wait for him to open the door wider or invite me in, instead just stepping forward until my arms are wrapped around his shoulder. His arms come around me as I lean on my toes and snuggle closer to him.

"Thank you for last night," I say quietly into his ear as his arms tighten around my waist.

"It was nothing," he says as he leans into the doorframe.

"It wasn't nothing," I say. "It was really sweet of you."

He shrugs. "I was happy to do it. Is Maggie doing okay?"

"I'm not really sure if I'm honest," I admit the truth as I pull at the strap of my bag out of nervous habit. I know it's Maggie's business and I shouldn't be talking about it, but my heart is aching for her and I need someone to talk it through. We may have been talking, but we aren't better yet. "She learned that she may not be able to get pregnant," I share and twist in my spot. "She had taken a test and it said she was, so to learn that she isn't and that she may never be... it's a lot. She's devastated and I have no idea how Zane is going to be when he learns."

"They're both going to be okay," he tells me, stepping toward me when he sees the tears piercing my eyes. "And you'll be there for them when they're not."

"Yeah." I nod. "You're right."

He smiles as he rests his hands on my cheeks, gently wiping under my eyes. "Aren't I always?" he asks.

"Funny," I say, resting my hands over his wrists. "I have to get ready for work, but I'll see you later?"

He nods as he drops his hands. "I'm still holding you to a rain check."

"I expect you to," I say with a smile, leaning on my toes as I press my lips to his cheek. "I'll make it up to you, I promise."