one: the dogs

It was a busy day in Bucharest, as it usually was. With the streets filled with rushing people, the sound of heels clicking against cement, and unsteady loud traffic, a skinny stray dog walked casually on the edge of the pavement.

It's messy silver fur glistened in the morning sunshine in places where it wasn't dirty.

She was ignored by the pedestrians, mostly because they were so caught up in their own lives and their phones that they didn't see the starving animal right under their feet. Not many people trusted the staffordshire bull terrier mix enough to come close to her anyways, so she depended on herself to find some food.

Right at that moment, the blue-eyed dog sniffed out some food stalls and decided to follow the scent. She trotted across the road, missing a few cars, and swerved past pairs of legs once she hopped onto the pavement.

The smell of fresh fruit overwhelmed her wet nose, and she quickly licked up some sweet remains of a squashed plum that had been stood on from the floor. She was shooed away only seconds after by the stall owner, and she jumped away with her ears flat to her head.

Looking up, the mutt stuck her nose higher in the air to figure out which of the stalls had the tastiest food, in that case it was the one with the raw fish.

She walked under a few stalls, out of the sight of people, and smelt the fish stand once she got closer. She was about ready to snatch the closest fish to her when a larger dog startled her, it's teeth showing.

If the mutt could fight, she would, but to her demise it was clear that her opponent was more powerful. With her tail between her legs and her head low, she trotted away.

It seems that the large dog had a pack, as a couple of other stray dogs followed the other to the stools. And the silver staffy couldn't do anything other than watch from a distance as the dogs filled their stomachs happily, content with their meal while hers remained empty.