four: the rain

James and Lumi left the old and odd-smelling apartment to wonder around the blocks, though keeping to themselves rather than going out onto the busy streets where the people of Bucharest lingered in their free time.

Lumi was wondering about the streets, sniffing everything new to her, as well as sniffing some things that she recognised. Mostly it was the smell of rubbish or food, but occasionally she would get a whiff of another dog.

Unwanted dogs were not rare in Bucharest.

James turned a corner, his face a little gloomy (which matches the cloudy weather) and his hands in his pockets. Lumi, on the other hand, was trotting happily behind him, her tail high and stomach content, for she had eaten earlier that morning.

A couple more days of James's generous feeding and Lumi would become plump, though she would be happy anyways.

After taking a round walking through some empty streets, and past quiet flats, the man and his new companion walked towards the main street. Lumi had her nose next to a couple bags full of garbage when a sharp whistle caught her attention, she whipped her head up to the source of the sound and saw James becking her over with a nod of the head. Happily, she bounded over and remained by his long legs.

The pair walked past the same usual stalls at the market, even the fish stall where Lumi remembered being chased away by that pack of a couple of dogs; she recognised the smell. Lumi followed James, or more so his legs because of her unfortunate size, as he was walking up to the same fruit and vegetable stall, and asked the same seller for the same thing as always - sweet purple plums.

Lumi was hoping for some sort of savoury snack before they left the gathering of food stalls, but James only had enough money for a small loaf of cheap bread, so he bought that instead.

For some reason, James didn't want to hang around the streets for long and the pair were soon heading back towards the apartment.

•••

Not long after James and Lumi got home, loud rain started pouring from the sky. It battered harshly on the fragile windows of James's apartment, causing Lumi to curl up into the blanket that was left messily on the mattress.

She knew that thunder was close, she could feel it.

James was preoccupied with something else, but saw the creature's discomfort. Sighing lightly, he left the kitchen part of the apartment and walked up to the mattress tucked away in the corner.

Lumi eyed him as he moved through the living space, and happily jumps up into his lap when he sits down. James's left hand gently placed itself on the animal, stroking down her spine.

The feeling was nothing Lumi had experienced before, but it was cool in temperature and she quite enjoyed it.

She didn't even realise the thunder starting after she fell asleep.