12

Josie groaned in pain, nearly keep over as she gripped her stomach

Josie groaned in pain, nearly keep over as she gripped her stomach. Valerie frowned in concerned as she turned to the girl, walking a bit closer to her, "Are you okay?" She asked.

"Yeah," Josie replied, beginning to stand back up straight, "I just think that that's making me a little nauseous."

Both Hope and Valerie turned to see what Josie looking at, only to see that it was MG making out with Dana under a tree, "Huh," Hope commented, "Didn't see that coming."

"It's simple math," Josie told Hope and Valerie as she crossed her arms over her chest, "MG has the hormones of a teenager and the impulse control of a preschooler."

"Can't argue with that," Valerie responded as both she and Hope laughed.

"He also always goes for the wrong kinds of girls," Josie commented.

"Given my last crush, I can't judge," Hope told Josie as she smiled, the three girls began to walk through the plaza.

"Well, my last crush was actually Satan incarnate," Josie added in and Hope chuckled. Josie sighed, glancing at Valerie, "That is, I guess, unless you count..."

"Who?" Hope asked curiously.

Josie was silent, immediately looking away from staring at Valerie, "You know what? Never mind," She quickly said, "Valerie, how about you? Any crushes you regret?"

Valerie was a bit confused about why Josie was so quick to change the subject, but then brushed it off, "I've only had two actual crushes," Valerie informed the group and Hope turned to her confused.

"You've only told me about one," Hope told her quietly, gesturing to Josie.

"You don't have to be secretive, Hope. Josie already knows I've had a crush on her. I mean, everyone does," Valerie bluntly responded, "But I'm over that."

  Josie seemed to have a bit of a hurt expression when she heard Valerie's statement, one that only Hope seemed to have noticed. Josie placed a fake smile on her face, turning to glance at Valerie, "Who's the other one?" She asked curiously.

"Never mind. It doesn't really matter anymore," Valerie sighed out, "Lizzie likes him and already called dibs. I don't want to hurt her. No matter how many fights the two of us get into, I still care for her as my friend."

"Dibs?" Hope asked as she let out a scoff.

After thinking about who it could be for a moment, both Josie and Hope's eyes widened when she realized who Valerie was talking about, "On Rafael?" They asked the girl in unison.

"She always calls dibs. She needs to learn how to give other people turns." Hope told her best friend.

"It just is what it is," Valerie replied quietly, "Plus, he's technically gone now."

"He'll be back, trust me." Hope commented and Josie immediately stopped walking, waiting for an answer to as to what they were talking about.

Hope and Valerie stopped walking also, turning to face Josie fully, "Your dad knows we used black magic. That's why Hope and I got in trouble. My mother also forced my magic to be dormant because of it, " Valerie informed her and Josie gave her a nervous look, "Don't worry, we didn't tell him that you helped me with the spell."

"Thank you," Josie thanked Valerie before turning to Hope, "Both of you."

"And to answer what you've been dying to ask, Landon and Rafael took off together," Hope explained to Josie, "Landon told me he didn't know why he stole the knife. But then he lied about having it, so I don't know what to believe. Then he wrote me this letter that was...I don't know, sweet."

Josie was silent for a brief moment while as she processed what Hope had told her, "Lizzie is sensitive. Our mom is going on these really long recruitment missions recently. That's why she's extra testy. She just really misses her."

"I know the feeling," Hope admitted quietly.

Three girls began to walk once more, Hope trying to her hardest not to cry as she thought about her mother, "I remember how your mom used to come by the school," Josie reminded Hope and Valerie gave her an uneasy look, not knowing whether or not Hope would snap at the girl for mentioning her mother, just as she usually did, "We all used to say how beautiful she was."

"She was." Hope agreed with her, a smile forming on her lips.

"We really should have sent you guys flowers or something," Josie commented and Valerie immediately turned to her.

Valerie chuckled, "You did," She revealed and Josie gave her a confused look, "Your dad signed your names. It was obvious."

Josie nodded her head in agreement, "Okay. We definitely deserve a little bit of poking." She remarked, causing the three girls to laugh, "I wonder where the boys are right now."

Valerie and Hope paused for a moment, sharing a glance with each other, "There's this spell that Ophelia taught us a couple years back," Hope revealed, "It's almost exactly like the one our Aunt Freya taught us, but it requires fewer ingredients. It's kind of like a full-immersion video chat."

"Okay, but don't need something of Landon's to..." Josie began to ask until she was cut off by Hope taking out the letter Landon had left for her, "Is that the letter?"

"You can't tell your dad," Valerie told Josie in a hushed tone, "They don't teach this at school. My mother could get in trouble for teaching Hope and I this."

Josie smiled as she nodded her head in understanding, "This is the kind of secret I could get behind." She told the two girls as Valerie and Hope smiled back at her, "Maybe one day, we could convince my father to allow Miss Ophelia to teach offensive spells instead of what she's doing now."

Valerie sighed, shaking her head, "I don't think he would allow that." She replied and Josie gave her a confused look.

"Why not?" She questioned.

"Because offensive spells can be dangerous." Hope explained to her, "Very dangerous. And the people in this school are dangerous enough because of what we all are. Giving witches these abilities would make them even more so. Ophelia, she didn't get so powerful while doing simple earth spells growing up as a child. She was taught how to fight using not just her werewolf abilities, but also witch abilities at a very young age. She's killed numerous people using offensive spells. But she's basically sworn it all off just so she could teach at this school. Do you really think your dad would allow kids to do it when he doesn't even loud Ophelia, a teacher, to do it?"

Josie sighed, nodding her head in agreement.

AN: I thought I was going to be able to fit the rest of 1x03 in this chapter, but I guess not.