Chapter 26

He'd gone a little too public, that was all. Graham tried to convince himself that that was what had tipped him off. He knew better, however.

Now, there was only the thought of what to do next. He couldn't stay here much longer, that was certain. It was getting a little too hot for him—in more ways than one.

"It's funny. I never expected to hear from him again." Ethan's voice cut through his thoughts. "After we married, he cut me off with nothing and swore he'd never speak to me again. I don't understand what this can mean."

"Maybe he's realized the error of his ways." Graham shrugged, peering out the carriage window.

"I've never known him to do such a thing." Ethan grunted. "There has to be something more behind this. Perhaps, he's drawing me in so he can gloat over my failures." Unexpected steel hardened his eyes. "Or this could have something to do with Lavinia."

Graham sighed. "Look, Ethan, he is your father. Father's often do unexplainable and absurd things. I believe it's a necessary qualification for the job to be a pain in the arse every once in a while." Ethan scoffed in the background. "However, he's still your father, and as much as you might hate him, he's the only one you'll ever have. Presumably, that's why you're answering his letter with a visit instead of ignoring his request."

Ethan raked a hand through his already rumpled hair. "Maybe. I don't know what possessed me to. . ." He turned to look out the window. "Thank you for coming along, though. On the legal side of things, I do want a witness if he threatens me or my wife, but regardless, it is nice to have company."

"I'm no substitute for Charlie, but I'll what I can." Graham said as the carriage pulled out a stop.

Drawing a deep breath, Ethan got out. Graham followed, taking in the gothic architecture and well-kept surroundings. This place would put even Fergus Manor to shame. It was ornate, even by aristocratic standards. More of a castle than a true home, the imperious stone walls seemed to peer down at those below with a menacing glare.

"Sir." The butler met them at the door as stiff and structured as the place in which he worked. "Always a pleasure to see you home." Was it his imagination, or did the dull eyes sparkle with a hint of pleasure?

"I can't say it's a pleasure to be back, Jenkins, but I am glad of the chance to see you." Ethan replied.

As Jenkins took their hats and overcoats, another figure emerged from the darkness. This one was no less stilted than the butler, and Graham was beginning to see what a childhood here would have been like. There was a certain kindness in the eyes of this man, he noted as his eyes became more accustomed to the dull lighting of the manor.

"Ethan? Can that really be you?" The voice seemed more alive, too.

"Doctor Crowe?" Ethan's voice didn't mask his surprise. "What are you doing here?"

"It's good to see you home again, my boy, even if the circumstance are not all they could be." Crowe's voice was marked with sadness, and Graham wished he could see the man more clearly.

"What is it?" Ethan drew a breath, and Graham could see that he already knew what would come next.

"Your father, Ethan." Crowe exhaled heavily. "To put it bluntly, he's dying. I told him he should send for you a month ago, but he wouldn't hear of it. It's some sort of miracle that he's done so now." Crowe beckoned for them to follow him up a sweeping set of spiral stairs.

"What happened?" There was, understandably, little emotion in Ethan's voice.

"I'm not sure. He suffered some kind of trauma. I did what I could, but something is leaking blood into his lungs. Perhaps, a more skilled doctor than I could have done more for him, but I'm no miracle worker. The kind of damage he suffered would have stumped the best medical mind."