Chapter 8

Stubbornly, the earth refused to open up and Alec was forced instead to shrink as far back into the shadows of the bar as he could, failing spectacularly. " I heard some technical wizardry was required," said Magnus, wiggling his fingers as Alec settled on awkwardly leaning against the bar top, suddenly very interested in a stain on the counter. To Alec's ever-growing despair (and potentially just bad luck), Magnus walked straight over to him and gently rested his hand on his shoulder. "We seem to be forever bumping into each other Mr Lightwood," turning to Mia he added, "I'll have what he's having."

Letting out a light laugh, that was far more like a snort, "You won't like it much I'm afraid. Dear Alec's being quite adventurous."

"Even better."

Mia poured him a coke as well, wiggling her eyebrows at Alec. "One good old-fashioned coca cola, the most exotic drink of them all." She added as she walked away grinning. Seeing Alec's expression, Magnus laughed "Scandalous!" and took a sip. With a surprised look, Mia pressed a hand to her chest, mouth open in astonishment. "No eye roll from the great Alec Lightwood?"     Jordan walked over and levelled his face with Alec's, examining his eyes, then pressing a palm to his forehead. Alec batted his hand away in annoyance and stood up walking away "Oh pisss off."

The next few hours were spent lifting heavy boxes, positioning mics and audio equipment, decorating the bar to Mia's orders which Magnus managed to pull himself away from his computer to weigh in on. Drenched in sweat, Alec leant against the bar's counter sipping another coke when the door opened, and Simon tumbled in. As usual, his hair was a mess, his glasses askew and his open flannel caught on his jeans. None of this appeared to be noticed- let alone bothered- Simon, as he opened his arms and with a big goofy grin, walked further into the room. "This is brilliant!" he exclaimed running his hands through his hair. "You even set up my keyboard." He stood speechless staring agape at the small area crowded with all of his music equipment. Finally, he turned to Alec and walked up to him reaching to pull him into a hug. Alec quickly ducked, and Simon ended up awkwardly patting his shoulder.                                                     "Yep, not a big hugger." He looked up and paused patting Alec's shoulder, "or physical conatact-er, right got it." Another sweep of his hair "Look man, thanks so much for all this, and getting me this gig, and helping me set up and-"                                                                                                   "Just play well tonight."                                                                                                                                                     Simon perked up, "Right, sure, you got it boss." After a pause and another lingering arc of the place, added "Look man, I really owe you. Seriously, anything you need and vroom I'm there."     Alec sighed, "What could I possibly need your help with? Let's just hope your music is better than your sound effects."

"Speaking of music-" Alec and Simon jumped as Magnus sauntered over to them waving his hands elaborately, "I will be needing some music for my party this Saturday." Alec felt his entire body tense and become electrified while Simon began to stammer and blabber on and on, "Yes of course! That would be so cool! I would love- I mean that's amazing- of course I would- this is incredible!"                                                                                                                                                                               Magnus, in his good nature bore this with wide smiles, patting Simon's shoulder and making positive noises until Simon had stopped freaking out enough to stand still and breathe evenly. Turning to Alec, Magnus added, " I hope to see you there Mr Lightwood." Caught off guard the best Alec could offer in response was "hum?" as his neurons desperately struggled to piece together what was going on. Finally, he was able to form a coherent sentence, which turned out to be "I don't like parties. Plus I have to study."                                                                                                     "No please come." Magnus lightly touched Alec's arm, "please, it'll make my night." Quickly Alec pulled away and ducked backwards towards the door. "No really you wouldn't want me there anyway, I'm not very- social. I'll catch up with you guys later."

At that he walked out the bar and swung into the nearest alley, resting his back against the cool brick. Looking up he saw a strip of the blue sky and when he closed his eyes, fragments of light danced across his eyelids and a cool breeze faintly ruffled his hair. For one blissful moment, Alec was suspended in space and time, unaware on anything at home or in the bar or at school, pressed against the brick wall in silence, where he stayed for a very long time.

AN/ This is kind of a filler chapter but this hadn't been updated in ages and something needed putting up. Hopefully have the next chapter up earlier than this one. Feed back is always appreciated, thanks for reading.