Chapter Two

"Oh, sweetheart, sometimes dealing with you is like taking you to the damned dentist sometimes."

I couldn't suppress a smile as my mother shook her head at me. Before us, several trainers had come forth with a variety of animals to choose for my familiar. Familiars were incredibly important to our people, and even plebeians had them. I, however, had yet to choose one, and it was mostly because animals simply didn't take to me as well as they did others.

I did admire the beasts that were lined up, though. A cheetah sat tall and proud with her head held high, her amber eyes eyeing the nearby boar that was chuffing and rubbing its snout on the marble floor, scenting the earlier occupants. Further down the row, a jackal, a hyena, a crocodile, and even a hawk. However, none of them took to me, and sadly, I didn't feel quite a connection with any of them either.

My mother waved the trainers and their beasts away. A deep bow and a humiliating procession out the door with their animals followed. My mother rose from her throne, reaching up to massage at her neck and shoulders, clearly stressed from dealing with me. How I wished I could make it easier, but frankly, if she just laid off sometimes, it wouldn't be so stressful for her.

"My sweet, my love, my darling little boy," she sighed, turning to face me as I rose to my feet, "Should we really seek a professional for you? Perhaps if you saw someone, spoke with someone, you would feel better." I tried not to grimace at her suggestion, and the fact that she'd resort to that. It wasn't that I frowned upon therapy. It was that, well, first of all, my mother did. She believed it was all hocus pocus bullshit. But, therapy didn't seem to be something I would find helpful. I could talk all day about my problems, but in the end, they would not be fixed. Talking to someone wouldn't change the way I was. It would only open the wounds further and I preferred to ignore them.

"I'm alright, mother," I said, making her glance at me warily, and I smiled, coming over to put my arms around her and give her a kiss on the cheek, "Truly. I'm just having difficulties adjusting. Remember, I was in Hades for centuries. It takes a while to adjust." My mother pouted a little, then laid her hands on my arms around her and cradled me against her.

"I suppose I am impatient. I just want to see you happy and smiling again," she said, stroking my arms, "You were such a happy little baby, Septwa. You always giggled at things that weren't there, or whenever Anubis made faces at you. The whole pantheon adored you. You were the light of the pantheon, my sweet. I'm so proud of you." I was thankful she had her back to me so she couldn't see the slip in my mask that her words caused.

I'm so proud of you.

For what? What had I done that was so worthy of her pride? I knew she meant it to make me feel better, but somehow, her praise made me feel even more unworthy than I had a moment ago. And once again, I felt reduced to a child and I tightened my hold on her, pressing my face down in her luxuriously styled braids.

"Mr i tw, mwt," I murmured, whispering I love you, mother in our native tongue. My mother sniffed a little and turned in my arms to throw her arms around me, snuggling against my chest. The moment was brief, but went a long way in comforting me. It lasted until there was a throat clearing and my mother stepped back, looking annoyed.

"My apologies, your Majesties," one of my mother's jackal-headed servants murmured, "But your guest for the evening has arrived. Lady Chalchiuhtlicue has arrived with her sons, Itzli de Xiuh and Tupac de Chalchiuh." I frowned at the mention of the Aztec goddess of water and storms. I had no idea my mother had befriended anyone in the Aztec pantheon, especially since my mother was so averse towards foreigners.

"Of course! Bring them in!" My mother exclaimed, looking giddy. I raised an eyebrow at her excitement, only to wince when a high womanly squeal tore into the room. I looked up to see a devastatingly beautiful female run across the room. She was absolutely stunning with deep caramel skin and long black hair that was done in an intricate braided style that lay over the rest of her free flowing hair. She was dressed in a gorgeous sequin top with a flowy fringe that fell above her belly to reveal a glittery snake piercing. Tight black leather pants and bright green heels, plus added gold jewelry, finished off her outfit.