Chapter 3

I didn't see Ahk at all the rest of my shift. I also didn't talk to my father for the rest of the shift. I can't believe how controlling he is. That is the reason I left mom. I lean my head tirelessly on the window, watching the rain drip down the window. I can feel my dad give me glances. "You know I'm just trying to protect you." He breaks the silence. "I think I can't take care of myself Dad" I reply trying to end this conversation. He pulls into our house and i swiftly walk inside to get some sleep. As soon as I'm in my room I hit my bed and fall right asleep.
______

My alarm blares through my phone and I rub my eyes. I look at the time and it's 5:00 pm. I stretch and sigh. I can't wait to see Ahkmenrah later. That thought made me want to learn more about him. I grab my computer from the side of my bed and search him up.

Ahkmenrah is the second born son of Merenkahre and Shepseheret and the younger brother of Kahmunrah.

So he has a brother.

Ahkmenrah was gifted his tablet by his parents, who loved him so much, that they wouldn't let the inevitability of death separate them. Ahkmenrah was favored by his parents, though this could not be said for Kahmunrah. As the first born child, Kahmunrah was to inherit the throne. However, due to his brash, violent, and irresponsible nature, their parents gifted Ahkmenrah the throne, thereby skipping Kahmunrah in the line of succession.

The tablet was a gift. So where is Kahmunrah now?

Ahkmenrah's tomb was excavated near the Pyramids of Giza in Egypt, during the Ahkmenrah Expedition of 1938. His sarcophagus, along with his 24-carat gold tablet, were brought to the Egyptology Department of Cambridge University to be displayed. During his time on display, he learned British English, presumably from hearing the students and staff conversing. After leaving Cambridge in 1952, it was arranged for Ahkmenrah to become a permanent exhibit of the Museum of Natural History in New York City. His sarcophagus rests in the middle of the exhibit, walls of hieroglyphics surrounding it. On the back wall behind the sarcophagus rests the tablet. The entrance is guarded by two Anubis statues, both twenty feet tall. These statues were also excavated from his tomb. Just outside of the exhibit are display cases, filled with other Egyptian artifacts.

I continued to look him up but I couldn't find much more. I guess we can't know everything. Something in me says that disturbing his tomb was the wrong move on the adventurers but on the other hand I'm glad that the magic came to life at the museum so I could meet him. I close my computer and head downstairs to grab something to eat. I see my dad on the couch watching tv and mg brother doing his homework at the table. "How was the museum Jane?" Nicky smiles at me. "I reckon by the look on your face you already know?" I say pouring myself tea. "I knew since I was 12" he says. I stop. I'm shocked. My dad told Nicky about this when he was 12 and he now shows me at 23. I slam my cup down. "Oh really?" I look at my dad and he avoids eye contact. "I'm sorry MaryJane your mom wasn't letting me see much of you. I wanted to take you, I just never got around to it." He says. I scoff and turn back to the fridge taking out fruit. "It's fine MJ you know now" Nicky chimes back in. "Can I go back with you guys tonight I'd like to see Ahk and Rexie again" Nicky says. I blush when he said Ahkmenrah's name.
My dad nods. I take my fruit and walk straight up to my room. I sit on my bed with my bowl of fruit and turn on my tv, watching 'Once Upon a Time' I lean back into my headboard and enjoy my breakfast, thinking about Ahk.
________
After awhile I look at my clock and it's 10:00. I realize I'm about to be late so I rush to get ready. I spend a little extra time on my makeup. I wanted to make sure I looked good. By the time I was done it was 11:30. Oh god I took a long ass time. I rush to leave the house knowing my dad left already and that I have to drive myself there.
_______

Nicky's POV:
I walk around waiting for the clock to hit 12 so I can see the exhibits come to life. I wonder where MJ is she should've been here over an hour ago. I look down at my clock and it finally reaches midnight. I look up smiling at the tablet as it glows, and just on time, Ahk flies the top open. He sits up and looks at me, and stepping out. "Hi Mr. Nicky Daley" he says. He opens his arms and rush to give him a quick hug. He taps my back and laughs. "It's been awhile Ahk" I say backing a bit. "It has, you've grown" he smiles. He looks away from me and everywhere else, as if he was looking for something. "Everything ok?" I ask him. "Oh yes. I was just wondering where, well where Ms. MJ is" he says. I stare at his face and I can his cheeks lightly flush. Does he have a thing for my sister? I clear my throat. "O-oh she should be here soon" I say. He nods and we walk out to my dad at his desk. And just in time MJ walks in, we'll stumbles in.
As she is stumbling she almost falls and I see Ahk quickly by her side. Catching her. He lifts her up gently smiling at her. I can see the way she puts her head down and puts her hair behind her ears that she's flirting with him. What the hell? Not a fucking mummy trying to sleep with my older sister. My dad seems to agree with me because he interrupts. "Jane your late." He says. MJ walks to the desk with her head slightly to the ground in embarrassment. "I know dad I got distracted." She says. "We need to talk, follow me." My dad says and MJ follows him. I stare at Ahk. I can't help feel slightly angry. Yes Ahkmenrah is my friend but MaryJane is my sister. I guess it's like brother code. You gotta be protective. I clear my throat. "So Ahk." I say. "What's going on?" I continue. He fixes his posture and gulps quietly. "I'm afraid I don't know what you mean" he replies. "You and my sister." He's acting dumbfounded. "Well. I'm not sure." He explains. "If you'll excuse me" he quickly steps away with a frown.
_______
MaryJane's POV:
   My dad leads me to the staff room and throws his flash light down. "This thing between you and Ahk needs to end right now. You are to tell him you have no feelings for him." He says with anger in his voice. "Dad his wife is someone he had to marry as a last effort to avoid war. She wasn't even buried in a tomb meaning she is decomposed somewhere on this earth. There is nothing wrong with this!" I exclaim. "Nothing wrong with it? So what your only gonna see him at night because that's the only time he can wake. Oh and what about children? He's dead he doesn't have organs remember?" I sigh and sit down. I feel like I'm going to cry. "Dad I like him" I say I'm defeat. "I know you do MaryJane but it's for the best" he sighs and walks off leaving me alone with my thoughts. I try to stop the tears but they kept coming. I don't want to do this to him. I can't do this to him. I shake off my emotions and dry my eyes. I fix myself up, I'm gonna tell Ahk how I feel and I don't care what my dad has to say.