5. Zander

Z

ander was already in a sour mood as he stood outside the shop. He had to pay three times what it should have cost him to get the parts he needed. The shop owner's excuse that the parts were hard to get was crap, and he knew it. Zander wished he could risk going to another station, but it was some rather critical pieces, and he couldn't take the time to travel somewhere else.

He had just decided he was going to talk to the owner again, when something hit his back. Zander let loose a snarl, turning around to rip into whoever had dared touch him, but was stunned when his hand closed around the bicep of a soft female.

She had smooth, pale skin, and wide blue eyes framed by dark bangs. Her head barely reached his shoulders and her arms were full of bags that almost hid her body from his view.

A body whose luscious curves were clear through the dress she wore and had his mouth watering.

His draka flashed his instant lust for her. Her scent caught his attention and drew him to lean forward. Breathing it in, he savored the sweet vanilla scent of her. Something about it teased at him, seeming a little off, but he couldn't place it.

"S-sorry," she stammered and attempted to pull out of his grasp.

Zander straightened and tried to get his draka under control. Reluctantly, he let go of her arm. He wasn't sure if he should offer help, or reprimand her clumsiness, but she took off to the lifts before he could decide.

He made a step to follow her before stopping himself. The dress she wore hugged her generous hips, teasing him as she slipped away. He caught her blue eyes again before the doors of the lift slid shut and his draka turned a deep blue.

She shouldn't have run from him. She had intrigued Zander before, but her running from him ignited his urge to chase her even more. He had her scent, so it was inevitable that he would catch her and taste that milky skin. No one could hide from him once he scented them.

He growled again, startling the others passing by and causing the Alphas near him to bristle. Zander forced himself to relax and focus on where he was.

Let her think she had gotten away for now.

He couldn't justify taking the time to hunt for the girl until he had everything he needed for the mine, so Zander turned and headed back toward the docks. He had lost interest in the shop owner that had cheated him. There were more productive things for him to do.

Zander was on the station to collect repair parts and building materials, as well as food and fuel, for his mining operations. His time serving the Legion had earned him enough to purchase a good piece of land on a nearby planet that had ore and minerals.

There wasn't anything unusual, or overly valuable, but it was in demand, and easy to mine. A few of his fellow warriors were working with him to get everything up and running. Zander hoped to have enough output soon to step back and just run the business, instead of having to make supply runs and deliveries himself.

Grumbling under his breath, he weaved his way through the crowded docking area to the terminal where his ship sat. Being larger than even most other Alphas caused the majority of people to give him a wide berth, but there were two warships docked at the station, and some of their crews were lounging on the docks being a nuisance.

When Zander made it to his berth, his second, Rainor, was busy bringing boxes in through the hold doors. Rainor was another Nargarian warrior that had served with him and retired at the same time. While they had the same skin tone, Rainor's eyes were a pale, washed out blue, and his hair a deep red. The other members of their team were still planet-side running the mines while Zander made the supply run.

"Hey Zane, the parts for the conveyor and some refinery stuff arrived. Is anything else coming?" Rainor asked as Zander grabbed a box to help load it onto the ship.

"There should be some building supplies coming, too. They may not make it today though. I bought everything they had, and he said it'd take a while to get it ready to ship. We'll get the perishables right before we head out. Otherwise, besides a little recruiting and fishing for contracts, we're set," he replied, stacking the box with others against the wall of the hold.

A third of it was already full, and he hoped everything would fit.

"Good," Rainor grunted as they toted in the last few boxes. "How do you plan to find those?"

"I paid for a message that should go out on the bands tonight for workers, and I've got a feeling the contracts will come to us. We sold what we brought with us pretty easily, and I'm sure where it came from will get around. Give it a couple days," he said with a shrug. "If we're ready to go and haven't heard from anyone, then we'll just continue the way we have. In the meantime, I heard about a club here on the station we can check out for a little R and R," Zander said, giving Rainor a grin.

"Finally," Rainor shouted. "The mines may be a great place to make a fresh start, but there's a distinct lack of female company," he said, clapping Zander on the back.

"Ain't that thetruth," Zander chuckled, thinking of a set of curves with wide blue eyes.