6. Brie

B

rie stared at her wrist band as the alarm went off to take her pill. She was already standing at the sink with the bottle in her hand and a glass of water waiting. She had been standing there, just staring at the bottle, for longer than she cared to admit.

Opening the bottle, Brie poured one into her hand and swallowed it down. She had felt flushed and crampy since the incident at the market but told herself it was just nerves. All in her head.

She relaxed once she swallowed the pill and put the bottle back in the cabinet. She'd been too nervous to eat all day but knew she couldn't make it through a shift on an empty stomach, so she crammed down some food before heading out the door.

When she made it to the club, Brie walked across the dance floor to Sheena's bar on the far wall. There was a bar on each side of the club, and doors in the two front corners. The center was the dance floor, with tables around the edges, between the dance area and the bars. The back two corners were VIP sections and had their own dedicated waitress. Brie always worked the tables along the back wall in front of Sheena's bar and generally enjoyed her job.

"Hey Sheena, it looks busy again," Brie said, grabbing her apron and scanner from under the counter.

Though the club never closed, nothing on the station did, the day shift was usually slow and didn't pick up until after she came in.

"Yeah, I hear the docks are full. Ships are floating on tethers and using skiffs to come in. Another one of boss' events must be going on soon. You doing good?" Sheena asked under her breath as she gave Brie a once over.

Their boss would regularly host illegal events on the station. Sometimes they were games of chance, sometimes auctions. No one knew the details unless it involved them, and neither girl was. Sheena had tended the bar at a couple of events since she had been working for Largo so long, but he usually kept his regular staff out.

"I'm fine. It's going as planned. Did all my shopping today so I'll be good for a while."

"Good. Careena just served table four and six. She's getting one now, then she'll be leaving. Three just got here, so start with them," Sheena said as she headed to the other end of the bar where a group had just walked up.

Brie called a thanks to her and headed for table three. It was already busy enough that most of her tables were full, and there were groups on the floor as well as at the bars. She fell into her usual pattern and was able to keep her mind occupied with the routine tasks.

As she headed to the bar to pick up an order a couple of hours later, she ran straight into a body that stepped out of nowhere into her path. Once again, Brie was caught by her upper arms, staring at the broad, muscular chest of a Nargarian.

She wasn't sure what they had against wearing shirts, but she sure appreciated it. She had the random urge to lean forward and flick her tongue over his flat nipple and caught herself drawing in a deep breath to catch his scent.

Blushing at her thoughts, Brie's head tipped back, and the same violet gaze from the market stared down at her. Even in the dim lighting, she was sure it was the same Alpha from earlier.

"I'm starting to think you keep running into me just to have an excuse to touch me."

His voice was deep and husky as he smirked down at her. He leaned closer until his breath feathered over her ear.

"All you have to do is ask, and I'll let you touch anything you want."

A shiver snaked down her spine at the slight growl in his tone, her nipples tightening inside her bra. Brie felt her cheeks heat again as she remembered her passing thought about licking his nipples. Licking something else would be fun too.

Though still a virgin because of the fear that intimacy would reveal her dynamic, Brie knew exactly what he meant. She was momentarily lost in the thought of just what touching the Alpha would feel like. Held at arms-length, she could feel the heat radiating from his body, and his spicy, Alpha scent surrounded her.

A nearby shout caused Brie to jump, and reality intruded into the daze she had been in. Shaking off his hands on her arms, she moved her tray in front of her like a shield and stepped back.

"I'm sorry," she said, "but I don't know what you mean. You stepped in front of me just now, and earlier was an accident. Someone pushed me."

"Mmm," his voice almost purred at her as he straightened and turned his body to allow her to get past him.

"I'll still let you touch when you decide you're ready to. If you ask nicely," he said with another smirk and a wink. "I'll be around."

Brie scampered past him to the bar before looking over her shoulder, but he had disappeared into the crowd. She fanned herself with her tray as she waited for Sheena to notice her and come take her order.

As she carried the drinks back to the table she had come from, she noticed the shirtless Nargarian at a table with another redheaded one, in the section next to hers. He turned and caught her looking at him, tipping his drink towards her with that same smirk on his face.

Brie's cheeks heated, and she glanced away. She wasn't sure what it was about him that kept drawing her in. He was good looking, but so were plenty of the Alphas that came through the club, and they had never affected her the way he did.

Sneaking another glance, Brie had to fight back a wave of unreasonable jealousy when she saw two of the girls from the pleasure deck approach them. She was so distracted she almost walked straight into another patron and would have spilled her whole tray.

Brie caught herself and made it to her table unscathed, resolving not to look at him for the rest of her shift.

It was harder than she thought it would be. She couldn't get him out of her head.

Brie made it through most of the night before she caught herself glancing toward the table he had been at, only to find he and his friend had left. She was far more disappointed than she should have been.

When she got home after her shift that night, Brie had more trouble getting to sleep than she usually did. She kept thinking about a warm, broad chest, and a stupid smirk.