Chapter 10

Skeletons, cobwebs, chains, rats, cells, the smell of death, there was none of that. If this were what they called a dungeon I'd love to see what they put in the playroom--if they had one.

There was, however, thick wide wooden doors each with padlocks that lined down the underground brick archway. No one would think anyone would put time and effort to build a basement/dungeon this beautifully crafted to look like the inside of a medieval castle. Crystal chandeliers hung on the ceiling and a vintage red rug decorated the floor. Not a speck of dust dirtied the area.

"So what do you think?" Laura claps her hands together, smiling like a house realtor.

"I think people wouldn't mind staying in here." I certainly wouldn't mind. This is way better than the two-bedroom apartment I lived in back home.

She chuckled. "The rooms don't have windows, but they do have ventilation. The last six rooms on the very end have no light and people who need to isolate for a while to reflect on what they did wrong are placed there."

I feel like she filtered her words as not to scare me.

"Wrong...what kind of wrong things?" I suspect their idea of a bad crime is: Peeing on a tree. Barking at the squirrels. Chewing up pairs of shoes.

"Brutal murder, treason, obtaining illegal arms...that kind of stuff." She spoke the fact blandly as if it was of no importance than traffic alert.

My jaw literally almost disconnects from my skull. "And you don't mind living above these sorts of people! Is this some sort of House above a prison?!" I take tentative steps towards the stairs, staring at the locked doors where murderers could be dwelling on the other side.

"It's safe. I assure you. These doors are hardcore stuff and guards are on standby twenty four seven." She steps in front of a large picture frame and knocks on the glass. A different knock responds back. "The guards are on the other side of this frame. They see us, we can't see them."

That's really creepy. I'm never going to look at a frame the same way again. And despite her assurance, I'm not comfortable being in here.

Now she's a flight attendant waving her arms in direction. "There are a total of twenty rooms, only four are occupied. Two of these occupants are not criminals." She points to the first two rooms near the stairs. "Miles and Levi are temporary dormers. They have recently shifted and are learning to control their wolves. Right now, they are a danger to you and me, so they stay in there.

"Any male with a small inkling of werewolf blood can turn into a werewolf at the ripe age of 16. However, their innate instincts are activated when they're near a pack. If not, they live out their lives as humans." She pauses while I take in this information.

"And the two that are criminals?" I'm more concern about them.

"Harmless. Those boys can't hurt a fly! Do you have questions? Now's the time to ask, since we are in a tour and all." She purposely averts the subject.

"Are there no female werewolves?" So far I haven't seen any, but I could be wrong. Greyson's sister looked tough enough to be one.

"Werewolves are only male."

"That's stereotypical."

She nods her head. "Think on the bright side, we don't grow hair all over our bodies."

She's got a point.

"So how did these guys become werewolves?"

"That's a long story, but I'll give you the shorter version." She clears her throat and begins. "Some paranoid medieval King got a hold of dark magic. Traded gold with a witch. He asked her to turn his strongest and most trusted knight into a wolf to protect himself from conspirators wishing to kill him. Little did he know; his eldest daughter was infatuated by that knight. The knight secretly loved the girl as well, but feared the Kings wrath. During the night of the Eclipse the knight is at his most strongest, as well as his weakest when his beast form is in full control. Knowing this the princess releases this is her only chance to be with him. That night she sneaks out her chambers to find him.