34

Emily

I changed into jeans and slipped a beanie over my head. It was cold anyway.

"You ready to go?" Ashton asked, zipping his coat up and standing with Tom. I nodded and grabbed my phone.

We drove to town, somehow avoiding the Christmas traffic, and parked just outside town. I linked arms with Tom as we headed into the centre. It scared me. The thought of people staring at me was awful, and I already relied on Tom to help me walk.

It was only November but the Christmas decorations were already up -and it was packed.

"I've not been out yet," I said, looking at the buildings that loomed over us. Someone pushed into my shoulder and almost sent me toppling over. Ashton decided to walk the other side of me.

"Well I've heard it's been quite busy and that you've been tired,"

I nodded and shifted some of my weight into him as we walked round. The lights were actually quite pretty and all the shops had their Christmas decorations up. Tom unlinked our arms and held my hand instead as we walked into a clothes shop.

"Do you two want to go off? Pick a few things that you want," Ashton smiled, kissing my cheek. I nodded and smiled back.

"Ok, we'll meet back here in twenty minutes?" Tom suggested.

"Sounds good, just don't make me spend all my travel money,"

We went separate directions, Tom making sure I was close to him as we weaved in and out of people. I stopped at a display of beanies; mine was old and I wanted a nicer one.

"Why don't you take yours off? It's really hot in here," he said, dramatically fanning himself.

"Because I don't need to,"

He picked a light blue beanie from the rack and grinned, proudly handing it to me.

"This one, it goes with your eyes- try it on,"

I shook my head and took it from him, walking towards the jumpers. There wasn't really any need for them back home, but here, it was freezing.

"Emily, I know there's a proper reason why you're wearing one. You know you can tell me," he said kindly, squeezing my hand.

"Just these girls, they were laughing at me. They made me feel so ugly," I mumbled, trying to hold in any emotion.

"Oh- Emily, I'm so sorry," he said, throwing his arms round me. I let my head fall onto his shoulders as he rubbed my back.

"It's ok, I guess,"

"No it's not, they've made you doubt yourself. You're the most beautiful girl I've ever seen,"

I smiled and stood up, not understanding how I got such an incredible best friend.

"Get this," he said, holding up a dark pink jumper and holding it against me.

"How am I looking?"

"Just fabulous darling,"

I burst out laughing and took the jumper from him, adjusting the beanie on my head.

"Gosh I love you,"

We met back up with Ashton- who seemed surprised that we only had a few things- and went to the till. I offered to carry a bag but both of them refused. I was glad, walking was becoming harder.

Despite the noisiness of town, it was nice to look round the shops with the two of them. After a lot of searching, we found a small cafe and sat down. I wasn't feeling that hungry.

"What are you going have Emily" Ashton asked, squeezing my hand. I shrugged and leant into him, closing my eyes.

The waitress came and he ordered me a ham and cheese panini; Tom had one too.

"Don't fall asleep on us bud," Ashton laughed, kissing my forehead, "You're really hot. Please take the hat off,"

I shook my head and buried my head further into his chest.

"Emily, it wasn't a choice. There's hardly anyone in here and you deserve to have a meal in peace," he said calmly, taking it off for me. I clumsily took my coat off and rolled the sleeves of my jumper up.

"I'm sorry we tired you out," Tom mumbled.

"I'm just glad to be here with you guys,"

Ashton kept his arm round my shoulder as we waited for the food. I wasn't feeling the greatest.

Our food arrived but I barely even took a bite out of it. My head hurt and I felt sick from the heat. No one else seemed hot.

"Alright, you two stay here and I'll drive the car round. Take small sips of water but don't eat any more," Ashton said, smiling sympathetically and getting up. Tom came round and sat by me.

"I'm sorry," I said. He didn't reply but the hug he gave me spoke enough. I wrapped my arms round his back and hung my head over his shoulder as he comforted me.

"I just wanted this week to be perfect but I ruin everything,"

He pulled back and held my shoulders.

"Being here with you is perfect. The week is just gonna go as it goes so stop putting pressure on yourself Emily, I love you,"

"I love you too. I love you so much,"

It was barely a whisper but he smiled, wiping my tears and standing up.

"Ashton's here, lets go home,"