CHAPTER EIGHT: YOU WERE DEAD DUDE!

I saw the memory as though in an old video. Kind of blurry and washed out but clear enough that I knew what was going on. I was seeing it in choppy almost strobe like images.

The raining holy water was drenching everything and adding a hissing noise to the sounds of combat coming from behind us.

The sound of a gunshot, the flash of the discharge, it was very loud and very close.

I saw blood spurt from my dad's chest as he was flung back against the wall.

I tried in vain to run to his aid but Count Dragul grabbed my wrist stopping me.

I thought I heard Tesla barking and Count Dragul saying something but there was an odd buzzing noise all around me now and I couldn't make out what he was saying.

The memory flickered a bit as the buzzing got louder, I saw Tesla over by my dad, there was blood all over and then I pointed to down the hallway.

The buzzing got louder and the memory went black, then all white. The numbers vortex gave a bit of a shiver and I felt a wave of ice wash over my body as I concentrated even more on its glowing numerals until it went back to its usual lazy spinning.

The memory came back into focus like when you adjust the lens of a projector and I saw the Vampire Lord grasping my wrist still as my dad bled to death behind him. This time it wasn't a blurry memory it was clear and in high definition.

"Well, well" he was saying to me as he held my wrist up in the air lifting me off my feet with one hand as though I was a feather, "What is this you have on your wrist boy? This is no mere metal band is it?"

I tried not to look into his face or eyes remembering the old tales of vampires and the "look into my eyes" they used to say in the movies. But he slapped me so hard in the face my neck cracked as my head whipped to the side. I thought he could have slapped my head right off my shoulders had he really wanted to.

"I asked you a question boy!" he practically spit into my face, "or should I start on your mangy mutt next."

"It, it's a tracking device m...my dad made" I said through trembling lips.

"Oh I think is much more than that." He said with an evil smile that showed off his long gleaming fangs, "and I think you are going to tell me all about it. Aren't you boy? Or should I have my pets here begin snacking on your bothersome hound."

"You leave my friend a..." and that was all I got out as I tried to glare defiantly up at this utterly evil creature but there was something about how his eyes looked that made me not care about anything else except doing whatever he asked of me.

"Oh I will leave the furry meat sack alone as soon as you tell me all about this interesting little bracelet." He said as he held my arm with the metallic strap up before my eyes, "Now why don't you begin by telling me what it does."

So in a strangely monotone voice that sounded almost robotic I told him everything about the bracelet. It was like watching a movie about someone else because I couldn't remember any of this happening before but as I watched, it slowly came back to me. It kind of seeped into my mind, like just by watching this turned it from make believe to an actual memory.

"So you and your father are from another dimension? Is that what you are telling me? And this device" he said grasping the metal band, "helps you get back home. A home where there are no real Vampires and people actually like vampires so much they pretend they are one?"