CHAPTER NINE: GOING HOME

We all laughed and joked while wading through the waist deep snow walking back to the tavern. Tesla bounded joyfully behind us sometimes disappearing completely in a soft snowdrift to only come up a second later with a white face and beard barking happily.

Upon reaching the Blue Swan we found my father, Angela, her two children, the Commander and Captain Pturin at a table talking. We brushed ourselves off and joined them.

"Is everything ok?" Angela asked us all but I could tell the question was directed at Katrina.

"Yes thank you" Angela said smiling,

"That is good because we need to discuss how we are getting home." My Dad said.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Well son" he said and looked at me in a way I've never seen before. He seemed to hesitate before finally asking me, "Angela, Lucas and Lucy would like to come with us when we return home and I wanted to ask you what you thought about that idea?"

I was so stunned that I couldn't think of anything to say. My dad has been so single mindedly focused on his work for so long that the thought of him interested in anything or anyone else was so foreign to me I didn't know how to answer. 

 I was overjoyed that he had met someone that makes him happy the way my Mom used to. I think he got the wrong idea as I just stood there staring stupidly at him.

"Look" he said, "I'm sorry son I know this is a lot to ask of you and believe me I have no intention of trying to replace your mother but I think our world has so much more to offer Angela and her children that I couldn't help but to ask them to come with us." He said in a nervous rush.

"Dad" I said smiling, "I love you and yeah, before all this happened I probably would have been upset at the very idea. But back then I was so wrapped up in my own problems that I failed to see the world around me."

"I know I lost my mother but I realize now that you lost much more than I did. I am sorry I never thought about what you must have been going through all this time but I really just want you to be happy and for you to be proud of me."

"I can see that Angela makes you happy and that is good enough for me dad. I miss seeing you smile and be happy about things other than in the lab. So to answer your question I would say that I absolutely one hundred percent agree that it is a good idea and I would like to add also that it's really good to have my dad back."

"My word" he said with a sad smile, "I think I must have been in the lab so long I missed my little boy who could never tie his shoe laces grow up and become a man."

"Very funny dad" I said smiling at him.

"Son I have always been proud of everything you have done and accomplished." He said and gave me a big hug. "And you made me happy every day of my life, no father could have asked for a better son than I have. I mean look at you, how many dads can say they're son saved an entire world from an insane evil vampire lord and freed its entire population from slavery or worse."

"Dad?" I asked, "How are we going to get home? I mean we don't have bracelets for Angela or her kids and what about Katrina and Alexei? They said they want to come with us too."

"Yes I was contemplating that very problem when you were outside." He said and rubbed his chin in thought like he always did when he was trying to figure something difficult out.

"We don't have any spare bracelets at the lab I only had time to make yours and Tesla's in time for your birthday." He said, 

"I was going to make a few spares when I got back from this trip which was only supposed to be a quick sensor swap but that did not exactly work out like I planned it. I am sorry to have put you in danger son but I wouldn't have wanted anyone else fighting by my side. Don't get me wrong Leo is a fantastic martial artist but someone had to stay behind and keep an eye on Q so he didn't take over the world."