~02~

She imagined a world where the sun wouldn't mock her. Where it wouldn't glare and sometimes wink during the colder seasons. She wished it wouldn't remind her of the first of many sinful nights Adelaide had been a part of.

The sun was a witness to both the beginning and end of a relationship that never started. And she hated it. When previously she would rejoice and dance in the summer sun, Adelaide now preferred the cold. She preferred any place that would make her curl into a ball as she sought her own comfort, since she couldn't get anybody else's.

Adelaide stared out at the birds playing on the wires, the eerie silence around her was loud in her ears as she enjoyed her solitude. It was still early, just going a little past seven in the morning. Aurora had already left for work; Adelaide debated on whether to leave the apartment or not.

She had been advised to get out more and to stop moping around. To grow a spine, as Aurora had so delicately said it.

But it was all she wanted to do. Mope, that is. Adelaide didn't want to risk seeing him. The possibility that he might her ignore again was almost unbearable to think of. Hadn't he wanted to speak to her yesterday? Or was that a figment of her imagination?

Her phone vibrated next to her, a spark of hope flaring within her chest but it was quickly replaced with fear. Fear of disappointment. She picked it up quickly, wanting it to be a different number but secretly wishing it was his.

From: Don't You Dare Text This Number Ever Again
Dela?

It was him!

Adelaide stuttered in a breath, a loud moan of pain escaping her mouth as she threw the phone away as if it burned. She bit her lip painfully, longing to reach over and reply to him a thousand times. She missed him; god she had missed him so much. Every muscle in her body begged her to reply but the voices in her head chastised her to play hard to get.

She didn't want to be rude to him, how could she when she had nothing but love left for him?

Even though he was the one who started ignoring her first... Even when he was the one that made her feel left out... Even when he was the one that forgot her...

She still loved him.

The phone vibrated once more making Adelaide stand up too quickly, a pained expression on her face as she walked to her room and came back out with a small purse and a pair of Converse in her hand. Determined to not look at her phone for the entire day, Adelaide put on her shoes and left the apartment without looking back at the phone that was lying on the couch. Her only goal was to make it to her job in one piece, even though her shift started in forty minutes.

She couldn't stop feeling sorry for herself. Adelaide sighed a little dramatically. She stood in front of the elevator doors and pressed the button before waiting.

Her mind wandered to dangerous territories, but there was so helping the stars in her eyes as she remembered odd memories. How Jason had once kissed her senseless underneath a large willow tree.

It was her birthday, and he had tried to get reservations at a hotel outside of town but the prices were too much for him. So he settled for taking her to the place they had first met. And she never knew if he planned it, but he made her fall in love that day.

Real, heart-aching love that made Adelaide wonder if life was really meant to be that good.

He had her face in between his hands, staring down at her with an expression much too complex for her to understand. He always told her that what he felt for her was deeper than what he himself knew.