~04~

The day after New Year's was a big deal in Prescott; everyone was hard at work trying to start their resolutions before they gave up a week later.

Aurora had dyed her hair to a lighter shade, having promised her boyfriend that she'd maintain it for the first half of the year but with every glare she gave herself whenever she passed a mirror, Adelaide knew her sister was a few short days away from going back to the hairdresser.

Adelaide herself had no resolutions, those being her words when asked by her neighbors during the annual rooftop barbecue around this time of year. She thought about it hard, but with college being a short three months away, she couldn't think of changing anything in her life.

That was what she told everyone verbally. But to herself, she vowed to try to be happier.

And to forget Jason.

She had successfully maintained her act, having not seen Jason since Christmas. She was proud of herself, but it was short–lived whenever she'd remember all she had to do in order to accomplish that.

Adelaide had no idea what to expect from the world. It was the first day of a new year and she was unsure of what to ask for first. She thought of her sister and Jared, and prayed for their happiness to be everlasting. But then, what else? What else was she left with?

It wasn't much, but she prayed for the New Year to be nice to her. She prayed for closure but most importantly she prayed for the chance to feel happiness again.

The following days then drifted by and into a slow Sunday morning, the store bare and bright as the sun shone through the display window. The radio was turned low as Adelaide mopped the floor, humming low under her breath. Most of her co–workers had taken the day off. The owner of the store, Giselle, had wanted to close up for the day but Adelaide volunteered to remain. Katherine had given her the side eye as this was being said, quickly offering to join Adelaide for the day.

With Katherine in the back, Adelaide swayed silently to the beat as she continued to move the mop side to side aimlessly, cleaning an already spotless floor.

Dark shoes stepped into her line of vision, her movements ceasing with a start as she felt her breath catch in her throat. She slowly looked up to see a tearful Jason, his lips pursed and cheeks red as he held a medium sized box in his hands.

Adelaide's eyes were fixated on the box, recognition hitting her like a truck as she felt her cheeks turn red.

"Jason. What are you doing here?" She asked confused. He was supposed to be in Las Vegas.

"You had no right." Jason said lowly, his face pinching as he looked down at the box in his hands. "You really had no right."

Adelaide bit the inside of her cheek, flushed and confused as she stood in front of him. He looked different. Jason had shaved most of his hair, his ears sporting black studs on each side and his face looked solemn, hollow almost. His cheekbones were protruding, not complimenting the dark bags beneath his eyes. It had only been a few days since they last spoke but he was looking worse for wear.

Adelaide didn't like it. She could pretend to be tough another day but she hated seeing him unhappy.

Unable to bare his stare, she looked down at the box in his hands and swallowed hard as she remembered how long it had taken her to gift–wrap it three months ago.

"Happy birthday." Adelaide whispered, producing a small yet genuine smile for him.

"I don't–" Jason started to speak but he trailed off, his heartbeat heavy and loud as he ran a trembling hand down his face. "When did you get time to buy this?"