Chapter Seven: Grave Diggers and Smartasses

Hannah groaned as she felt herself come to her senses.
Everything hurt. From the headache, to the split lip, to the ribs and all the way down to her ankle. In fact, her ankle didn't feel quite right. She tried to move it but the searing pain that burned it's way up her leg made her eyes shoot open and a pained cry leave her mouth. She jolted into an upright position, heart hammering in her throat as she waited for the pain to subside.

While it died down to a painful throb, Hannah took a moment to look around. It was dark. Dark enough that she couldn't see much except for the dark outlines of shapes, but not dark enough that her eyes couldn't adjust. Things began to sharpen and come into focus as whatever drug in her system began to die off.

"Hello?" It was like her own personal horror movie and for whatever reason, that was the best idea she had to start it off.

As the words echoed off around her, a light flickered on at the otherside of the room. Hannah winced at the bright light and shielded her eyes. She waited for a moment, waiting for the light remnants in her eyes to go away before moving her hand and looking back at the light.
With a groan, Hannah attempted to pull herself to her feet, feeling around for hand holds. Finding one, something that felt like a shelf, Hannah gripped it and stood, balancing precariously on her good leg. The exertion made her sweat and she felt the blood drop from her face. Huffing, Hannah leaned for a moment before turning back towards the light.

Hannah would forever remember this moment as the 'Great Hop of 2007.' She hopped on her good leg quickly, using the dim light to guide her and move around objects. Only once did she trip, falling flat on her face and she smashed her head against a pipe.

"Crap..." She added a few silent expletives as she held her head. From what she could feel, there was a small split at her hairline and  was already beginning to bleed. Hannah could feel the familiar constricting pain of panic in her chest start to bubble and she sighed heavily through her nose.

I don't have time for this. This is not the time. Gotta stand up. Come on, Hannah. Stand up.

Her silent words echoed in her head, spurring her to stand up again. She used the metal pipe to pull herself up, an ugly grimace on her face. Hopping along again, Hannah got closer to the light. Close enough to see that it was a screen. A screen with a camera and a woman sitting patiently, waiting. Hannah came to a stop.

"Who the hell are you?" The woman gave a sly grin.

"Thats not way to greet the person who holds your life in the palm of her hand." From the corner of the screen, the woman lifted her hand to show a remote. Hannah's insides froze.

James Aubrey was angry.
In fact, he was downright fuming.

"How can she be gone? She went to the bathroom." He said through gritted teeth. The others in the room all gave him a look and Philips patted him on the shoulder.

"These things happen, Aubrey."
"No. No they don't.  Not to Hannah. Not after all she's been through." His voice broke at the end.

Booth was staring at his hands on the otherside of Brennan's office when Aubrey said that. He looked up long enough to catch the glare Aubrey was giving him. Booth went back to looking at his hands.

For the first time in his career, he didn't know what to do. The Grave Digger was back. Round three. This time he had Hannah. Hannah the girl who Booth had kept around for four months. Hannah who had wormed her way into everyone's hearts with the promise of doughnuts. Hannah who he cared about more than he would ever admit to anyone.
Hannah who had a smart ass comment for anything that didn't make sense.