Eight

Owen pulls Claire onto an old quad bike and I streak along beside him, terror singing in my veins and a fight boiling in my blood. The Indominus has killed many people, and she won't listen. She threatened Owen!

I squawk angrily, hissing at myself in frustration. I had done nothing but stall her for a brief moment, and while it had spared Owen and his strange, annoying woman, it had done absolutely nothing else.

I'm cut out for this. I'm too weak, too-

"Falcon," Owen calls from the bike, taking one hand of the handles to click at me. "C'mon, keep with me."

I chirp at him, my steps faltering slightly. "I'm sorry."

He manages a strained smile, even as Claire squeaks slightly and holds on a bit tighter. My disdain for her shoots up a few notches. "We'll be fine, alright?"

I gnash my teeth. Right, he can't understand me. "You're annoying sometimes."

"We'll be fine."

It sounds like a promise.

.

I don't hesitate to follow Owen into the hordes of people who screech and flee in terror as pterodactyls swoop and sweep through them, stabbing and grabbing and hurting. I hurtle past Owen and Claire and the other silly humans in their strange clothing, and just start tearing into whatever flying dinosaurs I can find.

For some reason, the screaming seems to double.

I grab one by the wing and fling it into the ground, growling at its face as it tries to stab its beak into my neck. I rip its head off.

Turns out chewing up pterodactyls is great anger management.

I hear Owen shout and turn just in time to see him get attacked by one of the flying demons. I snarl, but something spears into my side before I can help and I whimper as I stagger. An angry pterodactyl advances, its beak dripping with blood. My blood, I realise.

It doesn't get very far before it crumples.

Claire nods at me as she lowers the in and starts gushing over two boys. They're scents are familiar. These must be the important boys Owen was searching for. Huh, they don't look like much.

I turn back to the fray only to find the humans seem to have it handled. My flank heaves with my breathes. Blood spills down my side and I whine. Damn, I should get all the treats for this.

"Falcon!" Owen calls, and I look to him. He waves me over.

The several humans I walk past to get to my Alpha whiten with fear and shy away.

Huh, I wonder why.

"I'd like to sleep now," I say crossly, sniffing Owen carefully. He's dirty, but uninjured as far as I can tell. "You and your dinosaur problems, honestly."

"I'm alright," he chuckles, pushing my head away.

One of the boys exhales shakily. "That's a raptor," he says stupidly.

I snort, before moving toward him and tilting my head. "That's a human," I mock. He just backs up a step into the other taller boy, who's eyes are wide and panicked. He wraps a protective arm around the younger boys chest and I snort again. Silly humans.