Wattpad Original
There are 5 more free parts

Chapter 2

The collision was minor, though it still provoked an apology from the taller boy. Sean thought that would be the end of the unfortunate, harmless blunder, but the other young man didn't move. Instead, he remained in Sean's way, staring down at him with a curious expression.

"Sean Brooks, isn't it?"

Sean mentally cringed as he realized he'd run into the only surviving heir to the Beaumont family--rightful owner of this entire estate, and host of this evening's festivities.

"Tobias Beaumont. I don't believe we've met properly," Tobias said, holding out a hand while wearing what could best be described as a politician's smile.

Sean wiped his palm on the side of his skinny jeans before shaking Tobias's. He wasn't even sure why he had, it wasn't like his hands were sweaty or dirty.

"Nice to meet you," Sean said, though his inflection made his statement sound more like a question. It felt kind of silly to be shaking the hand of someone he had seen so many times. He offered a smile regardless, and stepped to the side, figuring he'd just get out of Tobias's way.

As Sean moved, Tobias also sidestepped out of the way of those still walking around the circle.

"I was hoping I'd run into you." Tobias sounded sincere enough, but there was something off-putting about his well-tailored suit, and carefully chosen words. "I'm interested to hear about your time with the wolves."

The polite smile on Sean's face faltered. "Oh, umm..." He glanced around, finding no one else paying attention to them. "Sure." He shrugged. "Though there's probably not much I could tell you that you haven't already heard." Information always traveled fast within the coven, and Sean had already answered plenty of questions.

Taking in Tobias's appearance more closely, he really looked far less like Kaiden than he'd initially concluded. He was certainly tall, but his black hair was cut short. Its neatly styled appearance matched the polished edge to his features.

"Indeed, I've heard a great deal, however-" Tobias paused to greet a passing coven member before his attention fixed back on Sean. "I find that when it comes to information, nothing beats a first-hand account."

Sean couldn't really argue with Tobias's logic. "What'd you wanna know?" he asked, checking to see that they weren't in the way of the coven members circling the fire.

"Oh, probably more than you and I have time for right now. Perhaps you wouldn't mind setting some time aside in the near future? I'm sure you're aware that we're going to be working on some sort of agreement with the wolves. Your first-hand experience with them, as well as your family's history, should prove useful."

"Sure, whenever you want. I'm not exactly busy since I graduated," Sean said, "..and haven't found a job yet."

His mother had, of course, offered to let him clean the salon for work experience, but it wasn't like he hadn't already been doing that for years.

Tobias quirked a brow before a smile crept back into his features. "Then I suppose it's good you should know that I did expect to compensate you for your time."

"Really?" Sean expected some witty comment from his best friend, but at that moment it occurred to him that he didn't see Trevor nearby. Surely, Trev would be easy to spot--he was wearing that flashy "support animal" vest.

Sean turned and twisted, looking around like he suddenly realized he'd dropped his keys or phone.

"Have you misplaced something?" Tobias wondered aloud, following Sean's gaze, although he did so with far less urgency.