Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

Chapter 6

Sean led Dakota into the dining room where his mother joined them, still drying her hands with a dishtowel.

"Mom, this is Dakota Gibson."

"Hi," Dakota said, offering his hand.

"I'm Madeline," she said, motioning for Dakota to have a seat. "So, you're Irene's son?"

"One of them," Dakota said, quickly withdrawing his hand and taking a seat as Sean also sat down.

"Jobe and Irene seemed like such sweet people. I had no idea."

Dakota's lips parted, but all that escaped was a semi-amused huff.

"I mean, not that they aren't sweet people." Madeline corrected. "I just didn't know about your family before all of this."

"That's kinda the point, mom." Sean was already cringing on the inside, but to his relief, Dakota didn't look offended. "People knowing about the pack puts them at risk."

"Right, well, I'd imagine so would kidnapping."

"Mom."

"I'm really sor-" Dakota started, but Madeline cut him off, shaking her head.

"No, don't apologize. I understand it wasn't your decision," she said, glancing at her son. "I just..." She shook her head and offered an apologetic smile. "I'm sorry, dear. When you have kids someday you'll understand how protective you get over them."

"I have a daughter, actually. She'll be eight in November."

Madeline's brows raised. "Oh..."

Dakota turned his head to look at Sean, who was bouncing his leg under the table.

"Would you like a drink, Dakota? I think I have an open bottle of cabernet," Madeline said, getting up from the table.

"Please," Dakota said, rubbing his hands on his jeans.

"Sean said you were thinking about speaking with the heads of the coven?" she asked from the kitchen as she fetched a couple of glass jars from the cupboard. Sean's mother was very into recycling and rarely thought to pull out their actual cups.

"If I survived the visit with you and your husband, yes. It'd crossed my mind." Dakota said, winking at Sean.

The teen smirked as he relaxed in his seat.

Madeline exhaled loudly and smiled as she set the jars down and filled both halfway. "Well, if you can survive me, you can survive anything. That's what I always tell Sean."

"I don't doubt it."

"So, before we stopped hearing from him, Travis insisted on your pack dealing with a problem wolf before giving our son back. That was all handled some months ago, right?" Madeline said, taking a small sip of her wine while she studied Dakota. "We never heard anything about it when we spoke to..."

"Conor," Dakota said.

"Right, the police officer, just before Sean came home."

Dakota's gaze fixed on his drink. "We never meant to involve your coven in our affairs, but I think Travis knew at the time we couldn't handle a homicidal rogue and a town of pissed-off witches."

"Well, the rumors about you all have been rampant," Madeline said.

"I can imagine. I'm hoping with your son's help, I can remedy some of that..."

Madeline's brows furrowed as she looked at Sean. "Sorry?" she said.

"A, uh... damn, I can't think of his name... something Bellmont?"