Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

Chapter 5

"I believe I have a fair idea ..." Tobias looked towards the orange tabby that was watching them both carefully. "As curious as I am on the details, I'm afraid we don't have time for that today, so let's just focus on the pack for now."

The only time Sean could recall feeling so immediately relieved had been when Conor had told him that his parents knew he was okay while at the ranch.

Tobias picked up the frog cage and set it back on the sliding shelf. "You're skeptical about my theory," he stated plainly. "That's fair. So, how about we test it?"

"Test it how?"

"All we'll need is a wolf... and a witch, of course."

Through the pungent stench of motor oil, Dakota could smell Byron hovering nearby

Through the pungent stench of motor oil, Dakota could smell Byron hovering nearby. He'd dragged out his chore as long as he could, but now that he was cleaning up, a conversation with Byron was looking unavoidable.

"What's up?" Dakota greeted, closing his Charger's hood as Byron came to stand at his side.

Byron Silver was easily one of the most intimidating men that Dakota had ever met, not because of how he looked, but because of how sharp and direct he was.

Byron didn't answer right away. He was sure that Dakota knew the answer.

"Are you sure now is the best time to be leaving?"

Dakota took in a breath before looking his packmate in the eyes. "If this is about my brother... I'm not making a decision within the next few days, Byron, you know that." Dakota picked up the empty Valvoline bottle and rags before motioning for Byron to follow him inside. "And Kaiden will be here." He added as they cleared the front door.

"It's not like he just got here, Dakota. We've had him locked up for months," said Byron as he followed after him. "And what about his kid?"

Dakota pitched the spent container and strode the short distance to the small bathroom, flinging the oil-blotched rags into the hamper before meeting Byron back in the living area.

As he stared at the man looking at him expectantly, Dakota felt like he might as well have been staring down his own father. They looked nothing alike. Byron's dark skin and shorter, rounder features were a stark contrast to his father's narrow, pale frame. But when he got that look in his eyes, Dakota felt the very same pressure--the kind your old man always seemed to be able to exert, no matter your age or rank.

"Slade would go nuts without someone to mother. If he had a problem taking care of Rex, he'd say so."

"And when Rex wants to see his father?"

"He can," Dakota said, his expression stern. "And you know what? If I'd have carried out pack law by now, like everyone keeps fucking pushing me to, that wouldn't be the case. That's what this is about, isn't it?" He sat down and sighed, rubbing his forehead. "I'm not a damn kid anymore, Byron, you don't have to prance around it."