Chapter 8.

My routine of attending to patients was done in a more than happy mood today as I pranced around, changing beds, treating wounds and comforting patients. The overjoyed atmosphere within me was due to my racing thoughts of Harry and how sweet his words had been last night. It was shocking to hear him confess his love but it wasn't hard for me to say it back. His kiss had been so gentle on me and so passionate and I simply could not wait to see him again. 

However, I did worry about his denial of knowing General Newton but I wouldn't let his distance regarding it falter the happiness he had brought me.

It was General Newton who I was now making my way over to. His condition had improved a lot, his bullet wound would leave a scar and his cough was still lightly tickling in his chest but he was better and no doubt would be back fighting again soon.

"Hello Nurse", he greeted.

"How are you feeling?" I questioned.

"Well" he nodded. "How is General Styles?"

"He's.. wonderful". I cracked a smile.

"Someone looks a little smitten", Newton teased.

"I'm not smitten". I scoffed.

"Okay", he rolled his eyes, before leaving us in a moment of silence.

"Can I ask you something?" I diverted, knowing he may provide me some answers about the letters.

"Go ahead".

"The letters", I sighed. "You said that there was a reasonable explanation that Harry would provide, but he has done no such thing".

General Newton looked at me confused, furrowing his eyebrows. "Well have you asked him about it?" he asked. 

"Yes of course I have, he claims to have never heard of you. Can you not just explain to me yourself?" I requested.

"I don't know".

"Please?"

He sighed, looking at me concerned. "Very well". 

"Thank you".

"Harry and I met out there. There was a lot of us but I saw Harry about many a time. We weren't friends, you can't make friends out there. But we chatted in the trenches when we weren't coming under fire or going off to shoot for ourselves. Anyway, one day I was wounded as you know. And as I lay on the ground, my leg bleeding with me screaming in pain, Harry came over to me. He looked frantic, and he asked me if I was okay which quite honestly was a stupid question" he took a pause, the description of Harry's behaviour making me chuckle.

He looked around before continuing, "he suddenly pushed the letters in my pocket. By this point everything was a blur, my mind was fading and I thought I was going to shut my eyes and die but all I could hear was Harry saying "if you see her at the hospital give her these" and I knew he meant you".

He paused.

"He would talk about you all the time. His beloved friend Lillian, whom he was secretly in love with. He would just lay at night, his eyes wide open looking to the sky and I just always assumed he was thinking of you. Because that's all he ever did think about. You. Even when we were under enemy fire, I knew his mind was with you" he explained.

His explanation, if true provided me flattery in the same way in which Harry had last night. However, if this were true why did Harry act so peculiar and clueless about it.

"Why would Harry lie about not knowing you then?" I queried.

"I don't know, maybe he forgot?" he tried to suggest but I doubted that very much.