Chapter 10.

Weeks had passed. The hospital had now begun to feel like home as I had been here a while now. Everyday new soldiers would arrive, most of them injured and fighting for their life as a result and everything was so very routine yet it was always uncertain what would happen at the next moment, for each soldier was different.

Despite the homely feel here, I was overwhelmed by the longing I had to see my Harry again. The day he had gone back to fight was one of both anguish and sadness for me. When I had awoken with the fullest intentions of giving him a goodbye kiss, I arrived in his tent to see his bed empty and to hear from others that the next line of soldiers who were to return back to the trenches - which included Harry, had already gone.

And, despite our prolonged goodbye the night before his leave it still felt as if our situation had been left on a cliffhanger. That's not to say, however, that the night we had that evening wasn't perfect as I told him of my love and he reciprocated, the way he kissed me as if it were to be the last time (which I was determined it wouldn't be) and the way he told me plans of our future that we were to spend together. Everything about it was ideal and I could not believe I had been so foolish as to never realise how in love with him I had been before.

But unfortunately, I had not heard from him much in his absence and this caused me to have anxieties regarding his welfare. I had recieved two letters in the first month and since then nothing. However, the letters did provide me hope and security that all would be well. 

As well as Harry's absence, some other familiar faces had disappeared in recent weeks. The most memorable of these being General Newton. Unfortunately there was no good news to surround his absence as he became a victim to his injury and this frightfully heroic war. His wound had become infected and had taken over his body, causing his last days to be of the kind that no man should face. He coughed, vomited and shook as he lay lifeless until the time came for him to be taken away. 

I had been surprisingly saddened by his death. Newton had been a man I was not always fond of, but he was familiar to me and not to mention he provided me information regarding Harry. I could not see him in the same light after the information Harry had spilled to me but he didn't deserve this and certainly not under such horrible circumstances.

*

Currently, It was afternoon and I had been making some beds fresh for whoever was next  to take the spot, when the Matron waltzed in and called me into her office. Her face was cold, and plain and I could sense a bad air from her giving me a hint that I was to be told some bad news.

However, when she spoke to me I could not have been more wrong because the news was unexpected, it was somewhat disappointing but it certainly was not bad. 

"Miss Wells, how are you today?" she asked.

"I am well, thank you Matron."

"I am glad to hear so Miss Wells," she paused, "I have some news."

"Please tell me what such news could be Matron."

"You are to be returning home," she spoke and her words were a surprise as I had expected to be here far longer; until the war was over in fact.

"I am delighted to here that I shall be returning," I thought aloud. "But Matron, I must ask why my departure seems so premature?"

"I believe you have done your duty Miss Wells. You have provided the soldiers with freshly made beds and the utmost care but there comes a time when you must leave and unfortuantely for you, that is now."

I stood a little dumbfounded for a moment before responding to her, "Okay, thank you Matron."

"All is well Miss. We shall have you on the first boat tomorrow morning," she instructed and I nodded at her before leaving.

That evening, I was quick to tell Helen and Mary as I returned to my tent and began to pack my things. They seemed just as surprised as I had but were very welcoming with a warm, sweet embrace. I was startled as to why they would not also depart with me as they had arrived by my side, but I ignored the thoughts and carried on.

As I gathered my belongings I found in my pocket one of the most recent letters I had received from Harry since he had returned to war. I gently opened the folded paper and read the words off of the crumpled paper, my fingertips brushing over his delicate handwriting. 

My dearest dearest Lily,

I cannot begin to express how much I am missing you at this current moment. I wish I were with you once more so I could lay with you in my arms and so that I could tell you I loved you. Because I do and I know you should know that very well but I wish to tell you as much as I can before it may be too late. I love you. 

We are to be wed soon, my love. When I return which I hope and have no doubt will be soon, the wedding arrangements will commence immediately. I often imagine what you will look like on that day as you dress in all white and give me your hand in marriage. You will look beautiful. I simply cannot wait to express my life long devotion to you in the most formal of manners as we stand before our family and God and make the promise I so desperately wish to hear and say. 

Out here things are bleak but I will do everything in my power to return to you my dear. For I feel we are destined by God and the stars to be together and I cannot give up now.

I hope you are very well sweetheart. See you soon.

All my love, 

Harry. xxxx.

His words were truly wonderful, making my heart flutter at how eager he was to be married, for he was just as eager as me. They provided me with the expectancy that all would be well depsite the doubts in the back of my mind that his current situation was not a promising one.

The promise he had made me to try and stay safe the night we last saw one another was sat comfortably in my mind and as I eventually fell asleep that evening, it was these words that gave me comfort. My slumber left me dreaming of a beautiful wedding where Harry was mine, before it changed in to a bloody, deathly nightmare.

A/N: Sorry its short, bad and a bit of a filler. Next chapter will be the last.

Please please go have a read of my new story "Fault.", I'd really appreciate it and I'd like to get a bit more feedback before I upload the next chapter of it :) 

Please vote and comment. xx