Chapter - 20

"Rick?" Jasmine called over to him. "What's the plan?"

"We need to get back to the Fort," he said.

"We will stay here," Dr Bey announced, referring to himself and Ardeth. "See if we can find a way to stop him. In the meantime, you had better keep yourselves locked up and hope the creature doesn't find and come for you."

Jasmine muttered, folding her arms. "Like he has any regards for walls, windows or doors."

Dr Bey ignored her, and began to leave, as did her group, but Ardeth lingered, staring at her. She walked over to him, as they stood behind a large exhibit, away from view.

"Stay safe," he murmured. "May you be protected from harm."

"And you" she muttered back. "Do you think the curse would break this time?"

"I...do not know," he replied quietly. "Here."

Jasmine looked down at his outstretched hand to see an amulet with an intricated stone enclaved into it, with ancient writing carved onto it. It has been worn away, most likely due to age, so she could not read it but it had been a beautiful stone many years ago. She took it cautiously. "This..."

He said simply. "I found it before I took my oath. We are given one when we take our oaths, but after I found it again, I knew this was the one. I don't know if the curse will be broken or not but what I know is it will no longer keep us apart." Jasmine stared at the stone in her hand. Ardeth gently placed his fingers over hers and closed her hand into a fist around it. "Keep it, until this is all over. It is not much, but it is all I have."

"Oh, Ardeth, I..." Jasmine was lost for words as she looked up at him, smiling gratefully at his gesture. "Thank you." He let go of her hands and kissed her forehead as he embraced her close.

"Now, will you tell me what seems to have upset you?"

"He killed Adam," Jasmine said.

Ardeth stiffened, holding her closer. He didn't say any words, which she was thankful for. She didn't want anyone's pity, right now. He quietly took the amulet out her hand, and tied it around her neck, moving her hair over her shoulder to do so. Jasmine tiptoed, leaning up kissed him on the jaw softly. Staring into each other eyes, they leaned closer and...

Rick called for his sister from outside the room, which cause them to jump away from each other. Jasmine took a deep breathe, as she turned from Ardeth and hurried away with her face blushing red.

Jonathan drove them back to the Fort, and they made their way to Evy's quarters to figure out what to do. Jasmine stood by the window next to Rick as they stared at the British soldiers manning the walls, staring at the eclipsed sun. She felt Ardeth's amulet over her chest just where her heart is, as her fingers turned it over and over.

'Hatshepsut walked around the market, looking through the different stall but nothing seems to catch her eye. She was passing through an alley when she has suddenly pulled in the alley away from the vision of people. She twisted the man's arm and swiftly placed her dagger near the man's neck. She stopped when she saw the face of the man and smiled. "It's you," she said.

Then she took in his appearance and squealed jumping on him, hugging him tightly. "You're a medjai now!" She exclaimed. When he flipped her, so she was against the wall with his hand over her mouth to silence her.