Chapter 16 - Lies And Danger

Hi guys! I am SOOOOO sorry for the massively long hiatus of this story, I've just been so busy over Xmas and New Year and had a ton of projects on that caused me to lose time for writing this. However, I am now BACK ON IT and I really want to finish! Thanks so much for being patient and sticking with it :)

Today's picture is dark Keiko under Maryssa's spell...!

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the new chapter! Speak soooon :D
Becky xx

---

Chapter 16

Lies And Danger

Fiancé.

Fiancé, fiancé, fiancé.

The word span around in my head, over and over until my temples throbbed, but it still didn't make any sense to me. All I knew was that it was threatening my entire world and I wish I'd never, ever heard it.

I stood in silence, trying to take it in. That horrible, hateful word. I was so stunned that I couldn't even move.

Kye reached out for me. "Lennon, it's not what you're thinking..."

"Get off," I yelled, sharply pulling away from him. "How could you? How could you keep something like this from me?"

The anger was pouring out of me in a way I didn't expect. Everything I thought I knew was disintegrating on the spot and all I had left was this fury, like a solid anchor to cling on to.

"I was going to tell you," Kye answered, his voice a desperate plea. "I swear. I was just waiting for the right time."

"The right time was the moment you met me! The right time was before we... Before we..."

I couldn't even say it. We had transcended. We had felt something indescribable together. But it was all a beautiful illusion and nothing more. It was an experience built on lies.

"I thought it meant something to you. Why did you ever let me believe that?"

Kye stood up from his crouching position, fully baring himself in front of me without embarrassment. "It did mean something, Lennon. I never planned for it to happen, but it did and it was beautiful. I know I should have told you before we got so close, but I just got swept up in you."

"Like you got swept up in her?" I blurted out before I could stop myself. "Have you transcended with her too?"

"No! Of course I haven't! I mean... We tried... She tried. But nothing happened."

He was trying to make this better and failing spectacularly. Now all I could imagine was Maryssa holding her hand out to him, faces touching, both expectant for the spark I thought he could only feel with me.

"So you wanted to then? Sounds like you guys are pretty damn close under the water. Maybe you'd be better off going back down there like she wants."

I suddenly felt hands cupping my face. Kye was reaching out, desperately holding onto me like I'd break into pieces unless he kept me together.

"Please listen to me, Lennon... It was an arranged marriage. I don't have any feelings for her, I swear. You know what parents expect for their children in my world, if I didn't try to go along with it I would have been exiled. But I never wanted her or that life. That's why I came up here. For you."

For a few moments, I stared into those dark, stormy eyes, willing myself to believe him. But then I wrenched myself from his touch, the overpowering feeling of jealousy drowning out everything else.