12

Kore heeded Ayo's advice and cut off contact with Fiona. It wasn't easy for him but he did not want to make a mistake that would haunt him for life, so, he stopped every contact.

Ayo was still putting up her walls but doing excellently in her studies. First semester was over and it was time for her SIWES training. She talked to Kore about it and they worked it out so that she can intern at his Radio Station.

Four weeks in and Ayo was already more convinced that this was her path. They were taught several things and practical examples were made.

She was watching a Yoruba movie  on the TV one night, when she heard someone knocking. She stood up and went to open the door. Kore stood there, still in his office attire. Ayo greeted him as he went to take his seat,

"Hey Boss. Good evening." She went into the kitchen to get him water and glass cup, both in a tray.

"Will you stop?" Kore asked.

"Will I stop what, Boss?" She asked, setting the water in front of him before curling up on the other chair by his side

"The Boss thing!"

"But you are my Boss and I think I should call you Boss all the time, Boss."

Kore got up to leave facing the entrance route and Ayo sat up and said, "Okay, okay, Oya sorry. Shey somebody can not play with you ni?"

"I'm not in the mood for your teasing. Should I go or sit down?"

"Oh my! Someone is cranky!" She murmured and he asked,

"What did you say?"

"Nothing, nothing at all. Please, come sit." She answered and after he was seated, she asked,

"So, what's up?"

"I have a job for you."

"What type?"

"OAP*. We want to include an hour on Saturdays where we ask people how their day is going. It's an afternoon thing. From 12 to 1. You just ask people how they are doing, what they are doing, where they are going and you slip in adverts as well as music and the program is over."

"Wow."

"Yeah, I know. You will be working with another lady so the both of you will be hosting the program."

"Someone new too? An intern?"

"No, not an intern."

"Kore, are you seriously out to get people to hate me?"

"Why would you say that?"

"Because of these kind of things. I bet the other interns will say you are playing the favouritism game."

"I am not and they can think that all they want, you can't change what people are thinking about you because even when you tell them the truth, they will still think whatever they want to think."

"Okay Guru. Why are you doing this?" She asked, folding her hands and staring at him.

Silence ensued for a short while before he said, "Just because."

"Mr Adetiloye, a little bird in here (tapping the side of her head) tells me you are lying."

"Are you going to do it or not?"

"Of course I am. Who gets this kind of opportunity and says no?"

"Okay, let's discuss the salary then."

"No need for that. Whatever you give me is fine."

"No, I insist we talk about it."

"Yen yen yen. I can't hear you." She placed her hands over her ears. Kore looked at her in disbelief.

"You are such a child! To think that you actually have a child already (shakes his head). Where is Tunz anyway?"

"In his room, with my laptop, probably watching one of those machine guns movie."

"Let me say Hi before I retreat."

"Be my guest." She said and he went into her son's room. Some minutes later, he came out and said,

"I'm going to sleep, good night."

"No food?"

"I don't know if I will be able to eat. So tired."

"You have to. Should I come with you to serve you or you can do it by yourself?"

"I can manage. Thank you. Take care."

"You too. Sleep well." She said and he left. She bolted the door and went back to the movie.

Δ Δ Δ Δ Δ Δ Δ Δ Δ Δ

     Next Saturday, Ayo started working with Lara and they became fast friends, having some things in common.

Δ Δ Δ Δ Δ Δ Δ Δ Δ Δ Δ Δ Δ Δ Δ Δ Δ Δ Δ Δ

Hello Boos and Baes,

Starred Words

OAP - On Air Personality

SIWES -

What do y'all think?

Ayo got a job already, courtesy Kore. Why is he taking care of her this way?
Is there something else we are not seeing?

Leave me a comment, let me know what you think.