Chapter 33

Just as she had assumed, they eventually drifted apart over the next couple of weeks. Th occasional email with revision notes she sent was answered with a curt word of gratitude.

They passed each other in the hall with nothing more than a small smile or a nod. Nora spent more and more time holed up in the library in anticipation of the upcoming exams. And today was no different.

The library had been filled with more people now that exam week was starting. But since she was always there, she always had a seat next to the windows tucked in the women's literature section of the library that was unofficially always reserved for her. As she went over old notes and revision material, she wondered if Rafe was going over the old exam questions. Was he ready? Would he be okay? She wished she could glimpse into the future.

Would he get into his chosen university? What would happen if he didn't? Would he never talk to her again? Would his father make him stay in Berk indefinitely?

"Hey," a whisper snapped her out of her daze, "do you want to go over History together?"

William asked as he placed the books on her table. The other students looked with curious gazes, not understanding why on earth the Golden Boy was sitting with her.

"Sure," she said, trying to bury her disappointment. For a split second, she was sure it was

Rafe who approached her instead. "I think the question with the most marks will be on the collapse of the Soviet Union."

"Really? I thought it'd be how Mr Norman learned to ski in the Alps after he rode camels in the Sahara."

Nora muffled her chuckle with her hands. William grinned and took out his own past papers.

"You left early on Friday," William said.

"Yeah I uh you know me, I'm not much on the social scene."

"Looked to me like you fit right in and that it wasn't your first rodeo," he said.

Nora smiled. "Sharp as always William. Speaking of the party, was Hazel okay?"

William's face darkened. "Yeah, what the hell happened in the bathroom? Hazel wouldn't tell me anything."

"I don't know Will. I just happened to pass by and heard her crying. I don't know if they had a fight or took things too far..."

They stayed quiet, and their voices turned to whispers in case anyone heard them. "Well, it's a good thing you heard them."

Nora had to thank her tiny bladder for that. And Maria.

"I was thinking the same of you. Jack backed off only when you came. He would've done something far worse to me than he did to Hazel. There's no love between me and that dipshit that's for sure," Nora whispered back.

"He wouldn't dare. Rafe would rip his head off and feed it to the dogs if he touched a hair on you," William said with a grin.

"Yeah..." Nora smiled with sadness, feeling a lump in her throat.

"And I always have your back, okay? If Jack ever gets to you or any of the girls just let me know. That guy will end up in juvie sooner or later I'm telling you."

"Thanks Will."

Nora loved the idea of Jack being put away behind bars, with other homophobic, misogynistic shits.

"So, who should test who first?" William said taking out his notes and books.

"Let me do it," Nora said, taking his flashcards. "I can recite this in my sleep."