Chapter 35

Rafe said all the swear words he knew out loud in both languages. At least he wouldn't get detention on the football field. The ref was a moron. That was obviously a foul. He placed his hand on his ribs. That would bloom into a giant bruise tomorrow, for sure. The player from the other team smiled to patronise Rafe, and it worked.

Had this happened at the beginning of the year, he'd dive head-on to start a fight. Now he had more restraint over his anger.

He'd get his chance to get back at him, but it should be on the field according to the rules, not his fists.

They had two goals so far, and the opposing team had one. Thirty more minutes and the victory would be theirs.

His eyes went back to search for Nora again. She probably saw that accident and was sitting there worrying and fidgeting with her buttons or sleeves.

But she wasn't.

William Manuel sat close and was whispering something in her ear. Something that made her smile from ear to ear, and she whispered something back. Rafe's blood boiled again.

She came to watch him play, not to play Chinese whispers with that pretentious ass. William was a nice guy, but he was irking Rafe like a crimson cape teasing a bull. Why the sudden interest in her? Before he'd come into the picture, those two barely spoke a word to each other. Shit he's been trying to get over Nora, but he wasn't even close.

"Hey, you okay, mate?" Luke said, slightly breathless. "Can't believe the ref didn't give that jackass a red card."

"Yeah," Rafe said, flexing his hand. He could still play.

"What are you staring at?" Luke said and in confusion, looked at the crowd of spectators.

"Nothing, I just—where the fuck are they going?" Rafe burst out unable to help himself. It took Luke two seconds to lock onto Nora, who was being led through the crowd by William holding hands.

"Mate," Luke groaned, "forget about them for now. We still have a game to win."

"I know that." Rafe snapped, "Fucking unbelievable. My last game, and they're off somewhere. To do what?"

Luke stood, unable to answer. "I dunno... they both had to pee?"

No matter what he said, it would not calm Rafe down. He'd be angry, but at least he could take it out on the opposing players.

"I'm fucking done with this," Rafe growled, kicking a piece of dirt and going back to his position. The whistle blew. He had a game to win. And then he'd be finally out of this place and out of her life.

It was three minutes into overtime. Rafe kicked the ball. It flew straight into the corner of the goalpost, nestling into the net, and the roar of the crowd confirmed their win. The whistle blew. Before he could even acknowledge what was happening, his teammate jumped on his back, followed by three others, until Rafe could no longer stand and was squashed into the wet, muddy ground. The headmaster came up to Rafe, shaking his hand vigorously and clapping him on the back once he scrambled back up, oblivious to the fact that he looked like a pile of shit.

"Well done boys, well done!" he said to the team of mud-streaked, messy boys grinning from ear to ear.

Luke jumped onto Rafe and tackled him to the ground, followed by another five guys. The victory was sweet. For a moment, Rafe forgot what he was angry about and cheered with the rest of the team. He searched for Nora in the crowd to give her a bone-crushing hug then remembered she had left with Will - and hadn't been back since.

A dark cloud of resentment dampened his sunny mood, and he couldn't help but get angry all over again. Were they together? Did she make a fool out of him on purpose? Why couldn't she just tell him instead of leading him on and getting his hopes up? Did they get together as soon as William broke up with his girlfriend? So much for a long-distance relationship...and being friends.

They headed over to the lockers, chanting football songs. Rafe headed for the shower and changed; all the while, his head was buzzed between his victory and nagging thoughts of Nora with William.

Luke clapped Rafe on the shoulder as they got dressed. "Rafe, mate, don't get so upset over Nora. There's plenty of girls out there."

"I'm fine," Rafe snapped, throwing his dirty uniform into a bag. Behind them, the usual locker banter began. The topics of discussion, as usual, were the shitty players of the opposing team, the match fouls and, of course, girls. There was hooting and whistling and talk of the girls from the opposing school who came to watch the game.

The conversation steered towards university applications and the acceptance letters they were supposed to receive tomorrow. It made Rafe anxious, and the taste of their sweet victory slipped away to be replaced by worry.

Jack laughed at something the other teammate, Gary, said. "Rafe has nothing to worry about. He got his little hired girl to do everything for him, lucky bastard."

Gary laughed. "Rafe the king—Captain of the team and conqueror of girls. Can't believe you even got the nerdiest girl in school," he added with admiration. Rafe's face twisted in distaste, but he chose to ignore what they were saying.

"I knew that girl was secretly begging for a good shag, but I'd never thought she'd do it for money. Too bad I couldn't afford her," Jack said with a vicious grin.

"Maybe she'll give your ugly mug a discount," Alex chimed in. The whole locker room burst into laughter.

Rafe's face darkened, and as he was about to say something, Luke stopped him.

Whenever Nora wasn't around, Luke was his voice of reason.

"Let it go mate," he said in a hushed tone. "It's not worth it. You know they always talk shit about everyone."

"Shut the hell up, Jack," Luke belted out for good measure, but it only made the boys laugh harder.

"I don't care," Rafe muttered. "I'm done thinking about her. But someone needs to shut Jack up. For good." He scowled as the boys went on to make more lewd jokes about Nora.

Luke shook his head. "It shouldn't be you. You know it'll be a fight. And not today after we won a game. We're still a team. Remember, you've made up with your dad. You can't risk trouble now. It's not worth it. We're getting results tomorrow, and you can leave soon.

Maybe it should be Will's problem now," Luke said.

His friend had a point.

"I just need to get out of here," Rafe said with a sigh as he made his way out.

Luke was right. In a couple more months, he'd be free of this town. One wrong move, and all his efforts could go down the drain.

He pushed the door open and left the stuffy, smelly changing room before he did something he would regret. The laughter and the hooting of the boys muffled as the door shut behind him. He stopped dead in his tracks.

Nora stood waiting for him. He did not expect to see her. He'd assumed she was with William somewhere. His heart froze as he saw hurt and tears in her eyes. She looked at him like he'd stabbed her in the back.