1 - Chapter One

"Your father is getting impatient," warned Elsafrey with a narrow gaze.

With a roll of her emerald eyes, Arafrey pushed food around her plate. She stopped listening to her mother a while ago, but feigned interest.

The two Frey were enjoying dinner, as they did several times a week. As the Frey didn't eat animals, a platter of fresh fruits and roasted vegetables lay between them. The two were close, but Arafrey had long suspected her mother kept their appointment to keep track of her studies and social life - the latter of which had Elsafrey rather concerned.

"You cannot attend the Summers' Night Festival alone again this year," Elsafrey continued, her voice soft and musical, but ripe with all too familiar disapproving undertones.

Arafrey didn't respond, slitting her eyes as she looked away.

"I find it hard to believe no one has asked you yet."

Queen Elsafrey was perhaps the most beautiful of all the Frey. She had green skin so pale it was almost white and eyes as deep and green as the forests they lived in. Her hair flowed like waves of moss green, held in place by a silver crown adorned with crystal-clear diamonds.

The crown was a gift from the Rugla many hundreds of years ago. When Elsafrey eventually retired, the crown would be passed onto Arafrey and she would take her place as Queen and High Priestess of Freya. Although she feared her daughter may never be ready for such responsibilities.

Arafrey resembled her mother with familiar soft features and wavy hair, but lacked the effortless grace and refinement of Elsafrey. She had the potential to be an excellent Queen, but resented the role she had been given and was prone to resistance. To say she was a bad Princess would be wildly inaccurate, however, she would often be seen sporting a placid look of indifference, or even quiet contempt, whilst fulfilling her duties. Elsafrey found her attitude frustrating.

Arafrey hadn't always been that way. It started a few years previous when her convoy was attacked on the way to meet one of her suitors. Since then Arafrey shied away from social events and spent most of her free time locked in her room. Elsafrey still held out hope Arafrey would find her way, but time was not on their side.

As if reading her mind, Arafrey tucked her hair behind her pointed ears. Rows of silver piercings caught in the light, highlighting Arafrey's most recent act of rebellion.

Elsafrey sighed deeply in response, pushing her plate away.

She was rather bored with pestering her daughter about choosing a husband. She was sure by now they could both recite her speech backwards.

It wasn't as if Arafrey didn't have options. There were plenty of Frey hoping she would give them her attention. However, Arafrey was now fast approaching twenty-six and it seemed no man would ever live up to her expectations.

Elsafrey decided to forgo her usual lecture, fearing her words were already falling on deaf ears. Instead, she rose to her feet, pushing her chair under the table.

"Very well, suit yourself."

She was more disappointed than angry as she turned her attention to the two guards stationed by the door.

They were both dressed in the military garbs of the Freya Palace Guard, a simple attire made of leaf-leather and a chest plate of wood, formed and hardened with artes to make it impenetrable. Each held a wooden shield with metal frame and detailing of a white dove in the centre, with swords strapped to their sides in a leaf-leather sheaths. They were dressed the same, except one had the red cloak of the Queen's Guard and the other the green of the Princess' Guard, their uniforms featuring similar red and green motifs.