1 - Chapter Seven

It was cool the next evening as Reyla and Tharin took their posts in the temple courtyard. The manapool glowed mystic blue behind them, the moon peering through the trees as they watched over the sleeping patients.

"Seems like this sickness is something serious," whispered Tharin with genuine concern.

Reyla sighed in agreement, shuffling uncomfortably in her new uniform.

The number of Frey presenting symptoms of the black sickness only increased as the day went on. The temple wards filled quickly, overflowing into the courtyard. Bunks had been taken from the barracks, but they too were quickly occupied.

"What d'you think's causing it?"

"Dunno. Whatever it is, the Queen'll have it cured in no time," Reyla assured looking to the starry skies, her eyes following the roots of the Life Tree as they curved around them, merging seamlessly into the temple.

"I suppose. It's just..." he trailed off, watching as one of the patients turned over in their bed.

Reyla rolled her shoulders habitually, the right cracking through the quiet. She clawed at the old injury, making a mental note to seek aid in the morning. The pain shifted, engulfing her chest, as she realised she could no longer rely on her Princess for relief.

"Did you hear about Estra?" Tharin continued, choosing to discard his previous thought. "Can't believe they've joined the Duran's."

Reyla abandoned her self-loathing to consider the news. She found it hard to imagine the Estra being push-overs. Their people were well known for bravery and skill in battle. The idea they were just invaded was surreal.

"What happened?"

"Gurrein said the Empire marched on them overnight, burning everything in their path! Beating and capturing anyone they could," Tharin explained. "Apparently, all the men have been forced to join the Empires' army and cart supplies around like animals!"

"How awful."

"Well, they are half horse aren't they?"

They both sniggered, soon falling quiet.

It was at this moment a shadow moved in the temple corridor, catching their attention.

"Did you?" asked Reyla, hazel eyes darting to the temple door, expecting it to open.

Tharin gave a nod in response, his hand reaching for his sword, eyes scanning the windows for the sign of movement.

"Should we?"

"Let's," affirmed Tharin, his voice unusually serious.

The two Frey drew their swords, hands tight around their shields as they stalked through the courtyard. They eased the double doors open before peering inside.

Darkness filled the empty corridor, the glow from the Life Tree their only light, causing them to strain their senses.

Down the wooden halls they saw the ward doors, many left ajar, those behind supposedly sleeping. Two guards stood by the temple entrance and another two down the East hall by Elsafrey's office. All seemed equally unaware of any intrusion.

The two Frey scanned the halls once more, ready to give up and return to their post when they heard scurrying from the West.

They set off in a jog, the sounds of footsteps becoming clearer as they reached the end of the corridor. But the hall was empty except for a musty breeze brushing past them from the catacombs, bringing with it more footsteps.