Part two: workings of her mind

(Name) couldn't sleep...

It wasn't the music emitting from her nightstand's speaker, the light, calming tempo, was, in fact, the only thing that seemed remotely calming in her dark, moon-lit room. nor was it the heavy pitter patter of the rain on her roof, the sound of the water running from her roof to her bedroom window emulated a peaceful waterfall like sound that sent her mind into a sort of blissful nirvana.

No, it was her own head, however that kept her awake.

Her mind raced a thousand miles a minute with distant yet vivid memories she played over and over again, memories of early childhood when she was young, carefree and innocent. back when she didnt worry about a minimum wage job, about paying rent on your small apartment, about essays and papers due for school

Memories of the young, brown eyed, boy she had met so long ago.

The faint  memories of Toby Rodgers recently had all of (names) attention. Even in that small amount of time that he had in her life, he still made a grand impact on her. For he was her best and only friend at the time.

Even now, She could still faintly hear his small voice, she could still faintly smell the whiff of maple syrup that he wore almost like cologne. Even though she was older now, her mind could still see his big brown eyes, and faint freckles that emitted a warm glow to his ghostly pale complexion. she couldn't deny how much she missed him.

Even though (name)s mind kept reminding her that Toby had died in the Rodgers house fire a couple of years ago, she always had a slight pang of hope that Toby had somehow fled the flames and carried on a new life somewhere else, far away from here, considering his body was never found in the rubble in the aftermath of the fire.

If so, did he even remember her? If she ran into him at this point In Time, would he still remember the small four year old girl, that he gave his school lunch cookie to every day since preschool?

That was the question that (name) kept asking herself, over and over again. that single thought was preventing her from drifting away to sleep, 'would he remember me'? she found it amazing just how those four little words could keep them awake into the ungodly hours of the night.

she just stared at her (f\c) ceiling of her room and listened to the soft drops of rain falling on her roof.
Drop
Drop
Drop
The seemingly endless cascade of water trickled in small streams onto (names)s  bedroom window. It reminded her of the local creek that her preschool went to on a field trip. She and Toby somehow sneaked off from her class. instead of looking at local landmarks and doing the other activities the class was doing, (name) and Toby spent the whole day playing in the waist high portion of the woodland creek. If she closed her eyes and thought, she could still watch the scene like it was a movie.

She remembered how Toby would always give tiny splashes, as to not accidentally knock her over. (Name) however, didn't hold anything back, and would send the biggest title wave her small hands could. The small water fight ended in endless laughter.

When the class finally found the two children, the teacher sent them both to the principals office. Not that either of them minded however, they didn't regret a thing.

Then there were the harder memories to look back on,

like the one that stuck out the most to (name). It was the day that Toby was pulled out of regular school. the memory of him walking out the door, clasping his mother's hand, and never returning. Toby went back home, home to his broken family, his alcoholic father being to blame. she shivered, god knows what toby went through in that time.

The two of them tried to keep their friendship going, the both of you coming to one another's birthdays and things like that.

However, as Toby got older, he stopped calling (names) house, he wouldn't show up at her birthdays, either. for some reason, he almost... disappeared.
She couldn't count how many unanswered voice mails she had left at the Rodgers home. Over the years, They always were the same premise:

"Ahem, hey Toby it's (name), I was just wondering if you would like to have a play date this Saturday, my mom said we could, but I don't know if you wanted to, so call me back okay? Thanks"

"Hey Toby, haven't heard from you in a while, um, just wanted to see how you were doing and everything, so um, just... call me back whenever"

"toby, its (name)...i heard about your sister and... im so sorry. if there's anything i can do just please give me a call"

"Toby, this is (name), you probably won't answer this but um... I uh, I miss you, and I just want to know if you and your familys okay. So um... call me back whenever you hear this... goodbye"

After a while, after years of missed events, and unanswered calls, (name) stopped calling altogether, she stopped trying to contact her preschool friend.
It wasn't that she stopped caring, she just couldn't think of any other way she could contact her friend. Everything she tried seemed useless.

And now, she was laying down on her bed, thinking of ways she could have tried, Tried harder. Tried some other way to reach out to Toby, maybe she could have gone over to his house or driven to the hospital after his sister died. though it was too late now, nothing could now change his fate.

She once again listened quietly to the drops of rain,
Drop
Drop
Drop

She looked longingly out her small bedroom window, watching the small water streams, the thick mist clouding almost all visibility from the window.

However, as (name) watched closely, she slowly started to make out two figures that emerged from the thick grey fog. Her (E/C) eyes widened in shock and terror, as the two figures got closer and closer. With every step she took, the worse her ever increasing migraine became
Step
Step
She felt like she couldn't see, her vision became cloudy with flashes of greys and whites.
She felt a sudden surge of pain,
Then blacked out..