Chapter One - Oh Happy Day

Five Years Ago

I woke up with a dullness overcoming my senses. Wasn't a birthday supposed to be that one main day of the year that you're meant to get excited about? Well, today was mine but I was lacking the excitement. Perhaps it was because of my bruised body, or perhaps because of the weight that was coming with reaching my thirteenth birthday.

Listen to me!

I'm turning thirteen and the first thing I do is talk about burdens like I'm some old woman, but then again, I'm wise beyond my years, or at least that's what my grandmother and English teacher, Mr Burner, say.

I don't exactly fall under the category 'normal'.

After stretching my aching body, I made my way to the window, only to be faced with gray skies and pouring rain - absolutely wonderful if you ask me. No, I'm not being sarcastic. I genuinely tend to look at things positively, although anyone in my shoes would probably have committed suicide rather than live the crappy life I do.

I jumped into the shower and let the water work its miracle on my body. I swirled it around my fingertips before igniting a small fire. The collision of water and fire quickly produced steam and I giggled to myself.

I was in heaven.

You see, only my grandparents know about my elemental abilities. I've had them since I turned eight, and they made me swear never to tell anyone. To this day, I don't know why, especially since it would do my life a huge favor if I could show people what I can do. I still don't know where my abilities come from though.

I stepped out of the shower and headed to my closet. Being as exciting as I am can only mean that I have a matching closet, which you should've guessed by now is absolutely terrible. I threw on a bland dress with even blander shoes.

The only thing I love about myself is my blonde hair. It's a gorgeous bottle-blonde all over, making most girls envy it. Other than that, I'm beyond average. With my baby fat, you can bet that I'm the center of bullying, which is strange since I'm the Alpha's daughter.

Yep!

You read correctly.

I, Juniper Lee-Ann Evigan, am the only daughter of Alpha Dayton and Luna Gail Evigan. My parents are seriously powerful and they're known worldwide. Our pack, the Litmus Pack, is the second largest and strongest in the US after the Vistas Moon Pack. Their pack has about a thousand wolves, while ours has about eight hundred. My parents pride themselves on their positions and fame, but unfortunately, I'm their biggest disappointment.

As a werewolf, those with Alpha blood shift at the age of thirteen, and regular wolves at the age of sixteen. When you first shift, you are able to scent out your mate, or at least you're supposed to if they're close.

If they're not, then fate will intervene and make sure you somehow meet in any case. Anyway, although you only shift then, you're still born with the enhanced senses and abilities, and, regrettably, I either wasn't born with them, or they haven't kicked in yet.

As it is my thirteenth birthday today, it is also the last chance my body and my wolf, if you may, have the chance to prove themselves. I'm already treated as the scum of the pack, so this is my last chance.

My father has had me training severely for the past three months, but he's still pissed off at me. I heal at a human rate, which means they can't break my bones and such, which also means I can't train to 'my full potential'. The whole pack looks down on me as a pariah, and after thirteen years, I can only hope that today finally goes my way.

I made my way downstairs, hoping that someone would at least be happy that it's the Alpha's daughter's birthday, but apparently my birthday wishes were missed as not a single person was around. I frowned to myself as I made myself a bowl of cereal. Maybe they're planning a surprise party for me?