Chapter Three - Or Is It June?

Mateo left the infirmary with confusion clouding his thoughts. Zeus was intentionally shutting him out, which meant he couldn't ask the beast any questions. It was safe to say that he was beyond annoyed. He felt sorry for the next person to piss him off while he was in this state.

He was pacing in his office when the phone rang. He frowned, not recognizing the number.

"Santiago," he answered.

"Mateo, I need your help!" the voice of his ally Royce Fallon reached his ears.

"If I had a dime for every time I've heard that statement from you, I would rule the world. Talk to me, buddy," he sighed.

He could use the distraction.

"Buddy? Is this Mateo speaking? Are you feeling okay?" Royce teased.

"Don't annoy me, Fallon. My mind isn't up for any tricks or funny comments. What do you need?" he asked.

"Alright, you Grinch! I need your help to find someone," Royce sighed.

"Well, go on!" Mateo encouraged.

"Her name is Juniper Evigan. She's somewhat disappeared and no one knows where she is or where her grandmother is," Royce continued.

Mateo was confused. "Isn't she dead?"

The last he'd heard about the Evigan spawn was that she failed to shift when the time came and she was never heard from again.

"No, she isn't. I was with her just yesterday. The last time anyone saw her was last night," Royce replied. Mateo could detect the stress in his friend's voice.

"You care about her," he commented.

"I do! I love her like a little sister. She still hasn't shifted and I need to find her. I can't ask these stupid pack members because their Alpha had already tarnished her reputation five years ago. She's really nothing like what they have said about her," Royce stressed.

"I hear you, buddy! I'll be on the lookout for her. I'll ask around for you. You know people can't say no to the monster," Mateo responded.

"If you knew how to, that would've been the perfect moment to laugh," Royce teased. Mateo immediately thought about his inability to smile, according to a certain blonde.

"Yeah, yeah! I hope you find her, for your sake that is. You sound like you're on the verge of heartbreak," he taunted.

"If I find her, I'll introduce her to you so that you can see for yourself," Royce chuckled.

"I'll hold you to that! Let me get to searching for you," Mateo said.

They finished their phone call and Mateo got around to making phone calls to different Alphas, asking them if they'd seen the girl. Most of them hadn't and one of them asked what she looked like. That's when Mateo realized that he hadn't bothered to ask. He just told everyone who was curious to call Royce and ask him themselves. He was about to make yet another phone call when Orion walked into his office.

"Is this a good time?" he asked.

"Might as well be," Mateo replied. Orion took a seat.

"What the hell happened back there?" Orion questioned. Mateo knew exactly what he was referring to.

"When you find out, please do share," he sighed.

Orion was surprised. "You mean you don't know why Zeus basically staked claim on Caroline?"

"The damn wolf is shutting me out. I don't know what happened between him and Mama Deo, or why he did that. All I know is that I can't stop thinking about the girl, and I don't mean just thinking. I mean full-on missing and all that shit. I want her here as we speak. When she calls my name, my whole body comes alive. She smells like heaven to me and I'm addicted to her scent. When I touch her, tingles erupt between us. She actually arouses me and you know no woman has ever been able to do that," Mateo explained. Orion was absolutely knocked for six.