Getting Catcalled

Alright *rubs hands together*

This happens to me on a daily basis so tell me if it sounds familiar:

You're on your way to some place. It could be broad day light or after sunset. You're not expecting anything, just walking down the street when you happen to pass by a group of men. You become aware of this fact but continue walking. You feel their eyes on you. You hear them  whistle or hear the remarks they make about you. They might even follow you a little. At this point you're uncomfortable and/or angry. You want to say something back that would shut them up. 

Should you? Will they leave you alone or will they come at you more aggressively?

It's sad how so many women (and perhaps men too) must face this every single day. It is different than being complimented by a stranger. This is harassment. They do it purposefully, knowing it's wrong. 

In my opinion, they do this because they don't expect a response. They know you will get uncomfortable and won't do anything about it.

Every morning, I'd walk on a certain street to catch a train to work and I'd encounter this. Them trying to talk to me. I wouldn't get followed, but I'd have at least 2 men looking at me the wrong way and / or passing comments. One day I lost my shit, I turned around and approached them. Those lunatics weren't expecting that. I stood in front of them and shouted, "what the f*** is your problem, huh? You're having trouble minding your own business?"

Silence.

I waited a second or two, stared at their dumbstruck faces and continued walking. 

During a more recent encounter (last Thursday actually), I had a car follow me as I walked home. I didn't even know how many guys were in there. All I knew that they sounded drunk and I was kind of anxious about walking away as fast as I could. At the same time, I totally ignored them. No matter how loudly they yelled at me. It was easy to do so with my earphones plugged in. But I made sure I had one eye on them, just in case. I chose not to engage with the men because that's what felt right this time. They had a car, and I was at a disadvantage.

It's not like I live in a bad neighborhood. It's just that it doesn't matter if you're in a small town or a big city. 

You will come across this at some point in your life.

There are so many videos online where you can see what it's like for a woman to walk around the streets of New York City. I'm sure there are videos about other places too. 

I don't know why we bare this. The next time this happens to me, I'm stopping in my tracks and calling the cops. I don't care. If I can get even one of these idiots in trouble, I'd walk away a happy woman.

My advice here is that - always deal with such a situation confidently. Your nervousness will add fuel to the fire. If they ask you something, feel free to ignore them and not respond. Don't worry about being rude. Call a friend or a family member in that moment to feel safe. Gage what's happening and respond accordingly. 

Even if you've never been in a situation like this before, always be aware of your surroundings. If you feel seriously threatened call 911 (in the US) or your local helpline right away. 

Most of the times, these things are harmless but trust your instincts. Listen to yourself, always.

Have you ever been catcalled or faced street harassment? 

If yes, how did you tackle it?

Let me know in the comments below. Share so that other girls / women out here can learn from it, including me!