Chapter Three: How to Get Away with Murder

On our way back home, we had to indulge on dad's lecture in the car. I was glad it wasn't directed towards me because I had nothing to do with mum being a control freak over Will's future. The whole ride consisted of dad reflecting on the chaotic night, yelling at his wife and his son about he was this close to losing a deal with Benjamin Morris and that we should be glad he still agreed to partner up with us.

Dinner was really awkward after Will and mum's argument. It didn't make it any better when Brittany decided to talk about her fabulous, glittery life, like literally no one asked. I don't even think she was invited. And yes great, she went to Milan last week to work with some fancy name designer and that she had a Burberry campaign with Kate Moss or whatever. Like, nobody cares.

"I walked my very first runway at the age of fourteen and it was for Calvin Klein in Milan." She batted her eyelashes as she held the wine glass filled with water that was sloshing around. Nobody really asked what she was up to but I guess Brittany had every second to make it her best and to remind people how amazing she was. "After that, I signed my first modelling contract for one of the world's top modelling agencies."

I scoffed at her as I bottle fed the doll.

Brittany's hearing just happened to be on point so she threw me a bunch of daggers, putting her glass of water down and leaned over to see me, "What have you been up to?"

I decided to take the challenge because while dad was discussing business with Benjamin, I had to make it my night too and show Brittany that not everything had to be about her. Shoving the doll into Will's arms, I took my glass of orange juice, mimicking the way she held it and making the liquid slosh around.

"Well, I'm getting well involved with Model United Nations, am currently finishing off my Gold Award for Duke of Edinburgh," I muttered, leaning over the table with the candles flicking between us as I stared at her, diagonally from where I was sitting, "Organised a charity event for a school in Cambodia last week and I'm currently taking the role of a single parent to a plastic doll – oh and I might've bumped into Victoria Beckham two weeks ago but I'm not really sure."

I saw her perfectly lined eyes turning into slits as she leaned back in her chair with Leon's arm draped over her bony shoulders. Grinning at her, I took a long sip of my orange juice, feeling the victory and my well-earned triumph.

"It's refreshing that a young beautiful woman is ambitious. It's hard to find a young lady with her own aspiration these days." Jenna smiled over at me, slowly looking over at her son.

But of course my victory over Brittany's arrogance didn't dilute the tension between Will and mum.

The second we got home with a loud slam of the door from Will and mum cursing in Italian, I went up to my bedroom, put the doll on my bed, went to the bathroom to take a quick shower and when I got ready for bed, I decided to call Kate and Gabe. After a horrible hectic day, I need people like myself to converse to. People who have the same views as me and just as bitter and cynical to the world as me – unlike the vast majority of people back in Middlesborough – are the ones I needed in my life.

"1-800-Dick-Sucker, what's the problem?" Gabe picked up first in the three-way conversation before I could hear Kate howling with laughter while I stayed deadpan.

"Oh yes Gabe, too many hotlines blinging you picked up the wrong call." Kate chuckled and so they both laughed while I sprawled on top of my bed, eyeing the baby in the carrier by my feet.

"Alright, Bella. What's up? How was dinner with the in-laws?" He teased and I rolled my eyes. I told them about the fact I was meeting up with the Morris with my family. In response, both of them laughed so hard their faces turned red.