Chapter 9

"Good evening Severus." Professor Dumbledore said as he gestured to the empty seat next to him at the table. It was the end of the second week of the term, and professors and students were gathered in the Great Hall for dinner.

"Hello Albus." Snape nodded as he took the offered seat.

"How is our young Elliana enjoying Hogwarts?" Dumbledore looked out to see her chatting with Draco Malfoy and some other Slytherin students.

"She's adjusted well," He said, not following the professor's gaze, but instead intent on piling food onto his plate, "talented in Potions."

"Well that's precisely what I need to talk to you about Severus." He looked pointedly at Snape who stopped filling his plate in order to focus his attention on Dumbledore. Snape cocked an eyebrow, urging him to continue. "Your daughter is quite talented indeed, but not just in Potions. I've heard from many of her other professors that she has excelled in all of her studies." Snape gave a small 'hmph' of approval as Dumbledore continued, "Some of her professors have mentioned that they would like to promote her. And I think given her circumstances, that this would be a beneficial move- Unconventional yes, but a wise choice."

"Promote her?" asked Snape.

"Some of her professors believe that she would benefit from higher level studies than those offered to first year students. It seems she has already easily mastered many of the skills required of first years Severus. And you know that much of the first year curriculum is theory-based."

"What are you suggesting we do then?" Snape asked.

"Myself and Minerva agree that Elliana would benefit from being moved into second year courses, at least in her practical courses. I've spoken with Filius and Gilderoy as well, and they believe Elliana is ready for second year coursework in their classes. That is, if you agree to allow her." He raised an eyebrow expectantly.

"Is she really ready for that Albus? She's just started school."

"Anything that she is missing, I'm sure she can catch up on. That is if you were willing to tutor her Severus. It certainly wouldn't hurt for her to have extra instruction outside of our normal curriculum."

"If she chooses," Snape said slowly, looking at his daughter chatting with her friends, "I will allow it."

"Wonderful." Dumbledore clapped his hands together. "Let's have her meet in my office after dinner."

*             *            *

As she was leaving the Great Hall, Elliana heard her name called. She turned around to see Professor Dumbledore standing looking at her, her father standing a few steps behind him. "Miss Snape, would you be kind enough to join me for a chat before you turn in for the evening?"

"Of course Professor." She spoke to Dumbledore, but her eyes were on her father behind him, worried that she was in trouble. She followed the two men up to Dumbledore's office, the whole while thinking about the last conversation that they had shared in that office the night she had come to Hogwarts. 

When they reached the entrance to his office, Dumbledore cheerily said 'Acid Pops' in order to gain access to the staircase that lead inside. Inside, Elliana took the familiar chair in front of the desk while Dumbledore took his seat behind it. Snape sat in the chair next to Elliana, but faced towards Dumbledore rather than his daughter. 

"Elliana my dear," He smiled warmly at the girl, putting her at ease that she wasn't in trouble. She had been worried that she would be lectured for showing off in her classes. "How are you enjoying your classes this term?"

"They're great sir. I'm really enjoying them."

"Are you finding them difficult?"

"No, not really... I mean, Herbology doesn't seem like my strongest subject, but otherwise everything else is going great."

"You aren't finding anything too easy are you?"

"Well, I mean..." She started shyly, looking briefly at her father, "Most of the spells we do in class I can figure on the first or second try, which is cool, but it gets a little boring waiting for the rest of the class. I usually spend the rest of class reading ahead in the text while everyone practices."

"That's an extraordinary talent my dear." He winked. "Some of your professors have come to me worried that you would be bored in their classes. They suggested moving you into more advanced classes if that would be of interest to you?"

"Really?" She asked looking at her father.

"I think it would serve you well to take on more challenging coursework." Snape answered.

"Of course. Definitely. When can I start?" Elliana asked excitedly.

"Well I've spoken to Professors McGonagall, Flitwick, Lockhart, and your father, and they believe you are ready to start second year coursework as early as Monday if that works for you."

"Yes! That would be awesome Professor."

"Of course, you will still be responsible for mastering all first year coursework, so this will require a bit of an extra investment from you. Your father has offered to tutor you on a regular basis to ensure you keep up with your work. "

Elliana agreed to Professors Dumbledore's terms and assured him that she would put in the work before he sent her to bed, escorted to the dorms by her father. 

As they reached the dormitory entrance, Snape said, "You'll meet me in my office Monday night after dinner for tutoring. Do not be late."

"Of course."

"I will get your revised schedule to you by the end of the weekend. Have a good evening."

"Goodnight-" She trailed off as Snape turned to walk back to his quarters. She hadn't known how to address her father. It hadn't really come up before. In class she addressed him as 'professor' or 'sir' but that didn't seem appropriate outside of class. She also had never referred to him as 'father' or 'dad'. He didn't really feel like her father yet, at least not in the traditional way. She wanted to love him and feel that connection to him, but so far she still wasn't really comfortable around him.

She entered the common room and saw Draco sitting by the fireplace talking with a few other students. "Well guess what Malfoy," She said plopping down on the couch next to him, interrupting the girl who had been talking. When she sat, Draco turned his attention to her. "I'll be joining you second years in classes come Monday." She said with a bragging smile.

"Is that what Dumbledore wanted with you?" He asked incredulously.

"Yepp! Some of the professors thought I would do well to skip ahead."

"But nobody skips ahead?" The girl Elliana had interrupted interjected. 

"Obviously, I do." Elliana said smugly.

"Well congrats Snape. But I hope you know it won't be so easy for you to be top of the class, now you'll have some real competition." Draco winked and laughed.

"Draco Malfoy, are you talking about yourself?" She laughed in mock amazement. 

"Consider it a challenge."

"Well then good luck Draco, you'll need it."