Chapter 13

The news spread around the school quickly, and by curfew everyone was talking about the Chamber of Secrets. At dinner Dumbledore had announced that students needed to be escorted to classes and dorms by a professor at all time. Severus Snape was leading the Slytherin students through the dungeons and down to their dormitory. 

"So who do you think is the heir of Slytherin?" Draco asked the students walking around him.

"Isn't it obvious it's Snape?" Replied Crabbe, looking pointedly at Elliana.

"That's what everyone else is saying." Goyle pitched in.

Elliana glared at the pair. "Shut up you blithering idiots. I'm not the heir of Slytherin. Whoever it is is hurting people. I'm not doing this!" Her voice raised in pitch and cracked as she yelled at the boys. Other students turned to look at her before turning away at a death glare from Professor Snape.

"I know it's not you, but I see where they're coming from." Draco said trying to placate her.

Elliana glared at him. "What do you mean?"

"I mean you're basically the poster child for Slytherin princess." He chuckled. "I mean, you're in Slytherin, your father is the head of Slytherin, AND you're super powerful. It also doesn't help that these things started happening right when you came to Hogwarts."

They had reached the wall to enter the common room. Snape stood at the entrance as students filed past him and into the room. Elliana was the last one to enter the passage, but as she went to step in, her father struck out his arm, blocking her way. She looked up at him questioningly.

"Pack your things. You're staying with me." He commanded.

"What? No. Why?" Elliana complained, catching herself before pouting and stomping her foot like a petulant child.

"Someone or something is petrifying students. It's not safe."

"Everyone else is fine in the dorms. Why can't I stay?"

"Because you're lucky I'm even allowing you to stay at Hogwarts!" His temper began to flare up at the thought of his daughter in danger. 

"What?" She asked, surprised by his answer.

"I lost you for ten years to keep you safe. I'm not letting you get killed right when I get you back."

Elliana's eyes welled up with tears at the honesty in his words. She nodded as he allowed her to enter the common room. She breezed past her friends without saying a word and went right into the girls dorm. She quickly shoved her clothes into her trunk before slamming it shut. She levitated the trunk just as Dumbledore had done when she packed it back at her adoptive parents' house. Again she walked quickly through the common room, not making eye contact with anyone. 

When she exited the passageway into the corridor, her father was standing waiting for her. Together they walked in silence back to his chambers. Inside, Elliana let her trunk float into her room and land with a loud thunk. She sat on the bed and used her wand to unpack her trunk. When Snape walked in, Elliana's clothes were floating lazily around the room before folding themselves neatly and tucking into her chest of drawers. Snape watched for a moment, and as the last shirt fell into place he walked in and sat on the edge of the bed. 

"You know I gave this to you?" He said as he picked up the worn stuffed deer from Elliana's pillow.

"You did?"

"The day your mother died, the day I gave you to those muggles-" He said the word as though it tasted badly in his mouth, "It was to protect you. I cast several protective charms on it to take care of you when I couldn't."