▪5▪

DAY 11
B.E.A.R. LABORATORIES
LEVEL 4

I exit the elevator and begin my journey through Level 4's hallways, looking for Dr. Vanderwall's office. Level 4 is apparently just office space for the higher-ranking doctors and scientists. The only reason I have been granted access to this floor is because of Project Tekula's strange reaction to me.

According to Dr. Anderson, he is normally very aggressive and never lets anyone near him, let alone go near someone on his own. Because of this observation, I am being evaluated as a potential asset to the project.

Their plan is to use me as a mediator between them and the Project. I will be the one to ask him questions, take samples, etc. All the basic tasks, mostly.

How do I feel about this? Well, I think I'm just lucky. Who is to say he won't attack me the next time we meet? Maybe this whole scenario is just a one time thing? I am honestly terrified about my new job requirements.

After the Project's escape yesterday, I was taken to the infirmary (apparently we have one of those) for testing and evaluation before being released back to my lab. There, I met with my fellow team members, who questioned me endlessly on my interaction with the project.

A few hours later, long after I normally leave, I was allowed to go home. This morning I was given Level 5 access and sent straight to Level 4 to be informed of my new assignments.

I finally reach a door with Dr. Vanderwall's name on it. I enter to see a fancy office with expensive fixtures and a large wooden desk. Across the room is a circular table that has all three doctors already sitting, presumably waiting for me.

"Ms. Odair, glad you could make it," Dr. Vanderwall greets. I nod my head and say a quick greeting in reply before sitting down in the only available seat left.

Dr. Vanderwall continues: "The Project's reaction to you was quite remarkable and, as you well know, we plan to use that to our advantage. The plan now is to inform you of everything we know about The tekula Project." He slides me a large file with THE TEKULA PROJECT written in bold red letters across the front. I begin to flip through the pages.

"As you can see, the Project is a lycanthrope." This time, it is Dr. Anderson who speaks.

So, I was right. He really is both wolf and human. I continue to flip through the pages. I see a picture of the same man I saw yesterday, and beside that picture is one of a large wolf. There are multiple pictures of the wolf: from both sides as well as the front.

"The lycanthrope can phase from human to wolf, and wolf to human at will; although, feeling threatened can cause the phase to happen involuntarily," Dr. Lansburry adds.

I nod my head. "Did you create him?" I ask.

"Create him? No," Dr. Conner scoffs. "We found him."

"Found him? Like, out in the wild?" I ask.

"Where else? He was deep in the woods in Alaska. He was an abnormally large wolf, so an organization called Global Relief brought him in. It was only when he turned into a man that we were given jurisdiction," Dr. Conner says.

"Have you tried speaking with him?" I ask, still astonished that this is really happening. "Are there more out there?"

"Not that we know of. He seems mostly animal, no matter his appearance. This is where you come in," Dr. Vanderwall says, setting his elbows on the table and leaning forwards in his chair.

"Alright, so I am going to ask him questions, yes?"

"We will give you a list of questions we want you to ask him, but I doubt we make any progress today. The Project has never spoken before," Dr. Anderson says. I nod my head and purse my lips. This is going to be tricky.