▪18▪

DAY 56

Theseus is awoken to a pleasant warm feeling. It isn't that his body is physically warm, more like his soul is warm. It's a stirring in his chest--a tingle at the back of his mind--something completely and utterly perfect. It is a warmth that can only be described as the purest form of happiness.

For a moment, he wonders why he is feeling such bliss. Oh, that's right. It is because the other half of his soul is sleeping peacefully on his chest. Her upper body lays delicately on his chest, her right leg slung across his hips. She must have crawled onto him at some point during the night, not that Theseus is complaining.

He reaches a hand down and begins to gently stroke her hair. His other hand tenderly runs up and down her back, rubbing soothing circles occasionally. He isn't sure how long he stays like that, just relishing in the warmth of his Mate, but she eventually wakes, her eyelashes fluttering against her pale cheeks.

Theseus pauses his petting, waiting for confirmation to continue; he knows she doesn't like it when he gets too clingy or touchy. She picks her head up lazily, her eyes puffy from sleep and her hair frizzy.

She is beautiful.

Veronica can only imagine how awful she must look. She was never a pretty sleeper and always tended to look like a survivor of the apocalypse in the mornings. She smiles shyly at the lycan before her. A faint blush paints her cheeks as she becomes hyper aware of how she is nearly straddling his lap.

She subtly slides her legs back together and lays flat on her back beside him. A low whine sounds from Theseus' chest as his mate removes herself from him. I must have done something wrong, he tells himself. I pushed the boundaries by staying with her last night. As soon as I woke up I should have left.

Theseus closes his eyes, breathing deeply, his brows furrowed in frustration. They were making so much progress! And now? Now she was turning away from him.

Veronica turns slightly to face the distraught lycan, though she does not notice his unhappiness. She curls her fists in the blankets, needing a way to release her anxiety.

"S-sorry about that. I--uh--didn't mean to lay on you like that. That was inappropriate of me," she says, mumbling the last part.

Theseus is shocked by her words. She is upset with herself? Whatever for? "W-what?" He questions. Inappropriate? They are mates! His body belongs solely to her and she may use it as she wishes.

"I am your mate," he says. "I b-belong to you. Don't feel uncom-uncomfortable." Theseus feels heat rising up his neck, his cheeks no doubt turning red. "I-I liked it..."

Veronica props herself on her elbow, an astonished look on her face. "You liked it? Theseus, you pervey wolf!" She scolds, though her laughter betrays her. She slaps his chest hard, hoping for it to at least make him flinch, yet she only succeeds in bruising her hand. She holds the stinging extremity to her chest, a hiss escaping her lips.

"Sometimes I forget you are a supernatural being with titanium for muscles!" She whines.

Theseus ignores her, taking her red palm into his much larger one. He inspects it carefully, his golden eyes tracing the affected area. Veronica tilts his chin up to meet her gaze with her fingertips.

"I'm alright, don't worry," she says affectionately. Without thinking it through, she gently traces his jaw with her free hand. He leans into her palm, his eyes closing in bliss. His chest rumbles with contented purrs.

Veronica finds herself subconsciously moving closer. Theseus, unaware of her movements, continues to relax against her gentle hand. He is startled by a pair of warm lips pressing against the corner of his mouth. He releases a shuddering breath, his brain on sensory overload. Oh, how close they were to his lips! Just a little further to the right...

Before she can pull away, Theseus captures her lips with his. His eyes shut tight as he hesitantly moved his lips against her's. He was slow--unsure. What if she didn't want it? What if he ruined it?

Before he could entertain those thoughts any further, he felt her lips move against his. Her lips were soft and warm against his, leaving him breathless. She tasted so, so sweet. Her scent, the taste of her lips, and the feel of her hands resting gently on his naked chest sent him into a euphoric state of infinite bliss. He was unaware of any of his surroundings. His mind, body, and even his soul were held completely captivated by her. Her essance, her touch, everything. Nothing mattered. Only her.

Only her.

Veronica had no idea what she was doing. When she first started on this project, it was as a lousy forensic technician. And now where is she? Oh, that's right, on her bed, kissing a half naked werewolf.

What she is experiencing is nothing short of crazy. She isn't sure when these feelings developed. She supposes it was a gradual thing. It was one of those instances where it was such a slow progression that one could hardly notice a difference.

And yet, as she breaks away from the kiss to stare into the eyes of the beautiful creature before her, she finds herself feeling completely at home. Her life changed in every way possible, yet in all the best ways. She finds that nothing else matters. Only that she stays with her crazy, sweet, hansome, and loving Theseus.

Theseus rests his forehead against her's. He tentatively raises his hand and rests his palm against her cheeks. Veronica's fingers twirl the tiny curls on the base of his neck. She feels his hands shaking as they hold her face.

"I love you," Theseus whispers.

Veronica chuckles quietly. "I love you too."

She had told him she loved him before, but she means it this time. She had meant it then, too, but it was different. She cared for him and wanted to protect him. It was friendship, really. Now? Now... she really loved him, like, the Hallmark kind of love.

"Thank y-you for loving b-back," he mumbles.

Veronica smiles sweetly. "You're welcome, my beloved wolf."

Theseus' smile brightens.

▪▪▪

Ever since their kiss, Theseus hasn't once left Veronica's side, the only exception being her trips to the bathroom, and even then, he stood outside the door. Veronica was a little unnerved by the lycan's behavior, but she did find herself starting to like his occasional touches and the staring when he thought she wasn't looking.

The entire day has been spent indoors, Veronica explaining to him modern technology. Theseus has been soaking up the knowledge incredibly quick, showing just how intelligent he really is. She has decided to help him explore different foods as well, starting with pasta.

Which is where she is now, standing in the kitchen in front of a boiling pot of noodles. To her left is a large pot of sauce, enough for her, Theseus, and Morgan when she gets home from school. She had sent Theseus to get a shower while she started the cooking, glad he at least knew how to work the shower nozzle.

A few minutes later, she feels warm arms wrapping around her waist and a head lying heavily on her shoulder. Veronica glances at her watch, surprised he was so quick in showering.

"Are you sure you washed completely? It's only been 4 minutes since you left."

Theseus shrugs, turning his nose into her neck and planting tiny kisses under her ear. Veronica's melodic giggles fill the room as she squirms in his hold.

"S-stop, that-that ti-tickles!" She squeals, her arms lifting up to push his head away.

Theseus belts out a deep, rumbling laugh, his chest vibrating with his chuckles. Veronica spins around to see his eyes filled with mirth. Quickly grabbing a wooden spoon from a drawer, Veronica proceeds to slap his muscular shoulders with it.

"Out! Out of my kitchen!" She yells, trying to sound stern amidst her chuckles.

"B-but love--"

"No, no distracting me while I'm cooking," she says, slapping him once more with the spoon. Just then, a timer beeps. "Sit down while I finish cooking."

Theseus reluctantly plops himself on a bar stool, a grumpy pout on his lips. Only the first day and he has already been kicked out of the kitchen.